Worried about supply :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Up until today I've been chalking my 1m old little one's fussiness up to anything but supply issues.  When he has wanted to feed for, literally, hours on end I have figured it was typical being a newborn paired with growth spurts.  Now I'm worried about my supply.  DS has been super fussy today, nothing but feeding calmed him down.  When we got to our 7th cycle of eating (a "cycle" to me being eating from both breasts until they were emptied) without stopping for even 5 minutes...I started to get a knot in my stomach.  I ended up giving in and feeding him 2oz in a bottle (he's had no trouble with nipple confusion) and now he has a milk drunk face and is napping.  I may just be blowing this out of proportion, but I'm almost in tears worrying over my supply.  I know that his number of pee/poop diapers is fine and his weight gain seems good...

He had an appointment at 2 weeks and then 3w3d and gained 12oz in thst 10 day period.  Is that good?

I've breastfed two other children.  My first until almost two years old and then I had supply issues with my second so I'm terrified of going through that again :(.

On top of all this, his poop has been turning more green and...slimy...over the past two days.  I don't think it's a fore/hindmilk imbalance because he always empties my breasts.  His poop is also smelling...off.  I don't know how else to describe it but "off".

What could maybe be causing this?

Oh and last question...could either of the above reasons (potential supply issues, poop being all weird) be why he has been ridiculously fussy today?  He literally hasn't stopped crying unless he's feeding or right now because he's napping.  He's always a fussy baby, but today has been on a whole new level!

Thanks so much guys :)

Wife to PJ. Mommy to Jacob, Summer, & Owen.
#2 of 3 Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM

It sounds like he's right on cue for the 1 month growth spurt!

12 oz gain in 10 days is fantastic. If weight gain is good and poops and pees are good (see:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html ), then you know you have enough milk.

Babies will scarf down a bottle even if they aren't hungry - so don't take that as a sign that you aren't making enough milk. Poop, pees and weight gain will let you know that you are on track.

#3 of 3 Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 AM

Definitely sounds like a growth spurt! He is just telling your breasts to make more milk, it can be wearing and worrying when you are in it, but it sounds like you are doing great!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page