New Mom and Overwhelmed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a new mom with not a whole lot of experience actively raising a sweet tiny baby (my son is seven weeks old).  I need some advice: I try very hard to exclusively breastfeed my baby, but sometimes I have occasion to provide him with soy formula when either I am "tapped out" (I found out some medication I was on reduces milk production so I stopped taking it a few weeks ago) or he wakes startled by the LOUD neighbors or is so hungry that he can't latch and "freaks out" until my husband and I fight about it and he makes DS a bottle. He usually doesn't have a problem latching when he is calm or mildly upset, just when he is overwhelmed or overly upset by something.  I DO have a pump but it is awful ( hurts like crazy and leaks out the back end) and we can't afford a better one right now so I don't pump all that often.  

I feel so guilty, like I am poisoning him with the formula and/or too much of a "tenderboob" to tough out the "torture pump".  It is ridiculous. I can't figure out how to ease off the occasional formula bottle without DS suffering....I know this is rambling but I am exhausted and emotional right now (hooray hormones).  

Anyway, TL;DR: I Need help getting my boob-juice reserves higher and some tips on how to not rely on formula so much.

Also< someone tells me eat oatmeal every day for breakfast and one light beer a night to help with milk production .  Has anyone else heard this, if so is it true?

#2 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 AM

Mothering a newborn is tough - hang in there, it will get better!
First, formula is not poison but if your baby is gaining well he doesn't need it. Is he gaining well with only the occasional bottle? If so, you could likely make up the difference by just nursing more. You can reassure your husband that your baby is gaining well and only needs the breast.
Supplementing with formula - unless you're pumping - will further reduce your supply. Bottles could also make him fussier at the breast because he's gotten use to the faster, easier flow of the bottle. If you keep a close eye for your babe's hunger signals - gnawing his hands, rooting, the first sign of fussiness - you may be able to latch him on before he gets upset. The best way to increase your supply is nurse, nurse, nurse. Try offering more often and relaxing in bed with your babe when you get a chance. Wearing a newborn in a wrap or sling is a great way to soothe them and stay close so you're always ready to nurse.
It is widely believed that eating oatmeal does increase supply. I do steel cut oats in the slow cooker overnight so I always have a hot breakfast ready. If you find a beer in the evening relaxing, it can only help!
You don't need to pump unless you're separated from your baby or need extra milk to supplement because he's truly not gaining well. If you want to pump, you may just need better fitting flanges - often the standard size is too small - which aren't expensive to buy. Medela pumps, for example, come with 24 mm flanges but I find the 27 mm ones more comfortable.
PatioGardener likes this.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 AM

great reply megan.

OP- You are doing a great job- Megan gave you good advice.

Hugs.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I will try some larger flanges.  I think the tip about the oatmeal in the crockpot is simple genius.  I will try that tonight.  Thanks for all of the advice!

#5 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Re: oatmeal in the crock-pot. You should put the oatmeal and milk/liquid in a dish, and put that dish in the crockpot in a waterbath, otherwise, the oatmeal will stick to the crockpot and you might never get it off. I use 4 parts liquid to 1 part steel cut oats in a corningware dish that fits inside the crockpot. I put water almost up to the lip of the corningware dish, and put it on low (hi, on my crockpot, will boil the water away by 4am).

1-2 Tbls Black-strap molasses will add iron and calcium.

I was so sensitive to oatmeal that even an oatmeal cookie would help with increased production.

Drink water, water, and more water.

And, I was so sensitive to mint that a peppermint tea - at about 7 weeks! - dried me up. My breasts went from a G down to a B-cup, almost overnight. I didn't have mint after that until DS weaned 3 years later.

Best wishes!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Also, if the suction is adjustable, make sure it is not turned up too high!  Better to have lighter suction, and get less milk, than to have the suction too high and hurt and potentially damage your breasts. I am assuming it is the suction that is hurting....though in some women (me) I though my let down was more forceful/almost painful when I pumped...but that was just during let down and got much better when baby was older.

Do you use a pacifier?  It may help with those transition times, like when he is startled and you are trying to calm him enough to latch on.

Try the nursing teas and see if they help you. Yogi brand and Traditional Medicinals both have a mother's milk tea.

I also agree with PP....have a 'nurse in' this weekend. Nap together in bed/the same room and just nurse whenever.

#7 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks, Emilie! I think we've all been there with a fussy newborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

Re: oatmeal in the crock-pot. You should put the oatmeal and milk/liquid in a dish, and put that dish in the crockpot in a waterbath, otherwise, the oatmeal will stick to the crockpot and you might never get it off. I use 4 parts liquid to 1 part steel cut oats in a corningware dish that fits inside the crockpot. I put water almost up to the lip of the corningware dish, and put it on low (hi, on my crockpot, will boil the water away by 4am).

This is exactly how I do it, too, except I use a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup.

Good luck, OP!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#8 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow thanks for the heads up on the mint.  I LOVE peppermint tea, I guess I can totally live without it though.  I plan on using your oatmeal recipe tonight.  I have some brown rice syrup instead of black strap until I can pick some up at the store.  YUMMY

ALSO:  the pump we have is manual so I don't think it can be adjusted (hand pump).  I dream of having a Medela or Tommee Tippee one day.  Thanks for that advice though, maybe it will help someone else out.  

YOU GUYS ROCK!  

#9 of 16 Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and we are in bed today and gonna have an extended "NURSE IN" this weekend.  DH has already decide to make us dinner and bring us drinks, We are a lucky couple of cuddle bunnies!

ASusan likes this.
#10 of 16 Old 11-11-2011, 05:14 AM

thumb.gif

#11 of 16 Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Brewer's yeast is good for boosting your milk supply. You can get it in health food stores. I usually just dissolve some in a glass of water and down it--it's an acquired taste but I like it. It's full of B vitamins and other good stuff.
#12 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 05:21 PM

I am due with my first child in 8 weeks and just found this forum.  You guys are giving me good advice already, and I hope the oatmeal, etc. helps Kitten?!  I truly want to breastfeed my son and didn't know if there was anything I could do while still pregnant to help my supply?  I welcome any ideas.  Thanks!

#13 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 AM

I don't think there is much you can do while pregnant, other than tips to help you afterwards.

fenugreek (you can buy it in capsules almost anywhere) can help boost supply too; you'll just smell like maple syrup after :)

Also: google mama'smilk cookies (or something like that) - they look delicious and are supposed to help with supply.

Beer can help, I think especially the darker ones. It's that brewer's yeast I guess.

but just keep on doing what you are doing - nurse, nurse nurse! and hange in there!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#14 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahsage View Post

I am due with my first child in 8 weeks and just found this forum.  You guys are giving me good advice already, and I hope the oatmeal, etc. helps Kitten?!  I truly want to breastfeed my son and didn't know if there was anything I could do while still pregnant to help my supply?  I welcome any ideas.  Thanks!

The most important thing to do to have a good supply is to nurse early - as soon after the birth as possible and stay skin-to-skin with baby as much as you can - and often. Before baby is born, you can ready about breastfeeding - kellymom.com is a great source on the normal course of breastfeeding - and get a support system in place, for example going to some La Leche League meetings and lining up an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in case your run into problems.
PatioGardener likes this.

#15 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 AM

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is a wonderful book to get and read.... I read it during my first few weeks of nursing to get me thru.

It's put out by La Leche League- you could also go to those meetings you will meet lots of great mamas there I think... there was never one in my area.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#16 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 PM

Megan73 is right. The most important thing is to keep your newborn skin-to-skin and nurse on demand. The first 24-36hours are crucial. The feeding attempts during this time period stimulate prolactin receptors, which, of couse, aid in making more milk. If the receptors aren't stimulated during this time period, there may be problems establishing a milk supply that will sustain the infant. (So many mothers "don't have enough milk" - this is one reason, researchers think - google Helen Ball at Durham in the UK)

Ball's research lab randomly assigned mothers to sleep with their infants, and another group whose infants slept in cots in the same room (right after delivery). The ones who slept WITH their infants were MUCH more likely to be exclusively breastfeeding in the following months.

Here is a link to Ball's presentation (slides and the presentation video itself) where I learned about this research. I don't think it is published yet.

http://ccf.nd.edu/symposium/symposium-presentations/

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page