have you heard this about breast feeding while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Someone just told me that breastfeeding is not good for the fetus. That it changes the chemistry.

Anyone heard this before? Where do you think I can find unbiased information?

on the same subject-do other more..."primitive" cultures breastfeed during pregnancy? Or is this a new thing? It seems to me sometimes that those cultures are where we should be looking to for what is most natural.

#2 of 12 Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html

http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/03fetalnutrition.html

http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html

Kellymom is great evidence-based advice.

My response to statements such as "breastfeeding during pregnancy harms to fetus" is always to ask for a reference. So far I have not been able to find any evidence to show that it harms the fetus in low risk pregnancies.

#3 of 12 Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

but you  have for high risk pregnancies? Although I would think it would make a difference in why high risk.

My issue is my (old) age. A TCM Dr said it was not good but I think it have to more to do with fluids and blood etc, in the TCM way.

The thing that caught my attention about what this woman said was that she used the word chemistry , which is more specific than any other negative I have heard. And it actually made a bit os sense.

#4 of 12 Old 11-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

dh is from Sudan and he says I am the first woman he saw breastfeed while pregnant.  He also swears they don't tandem.  But...they're also a very gender-segregated culture, and he did not notice women breastfeeding that I noticed when we were sitting on opposite sides of a smallish room at one gathering---I was obviously in the group of women, he was not.

That said, I also have not seen any of the people we know from his or any other African country breastfeeding during a pregnancy or tandem nursing.  I am talking about recent immigrants, not mothers born and raised in the US.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 12 Old 11-25-2011, 06:09 PM

I have never seen any evidence-based information about a well-nourished mother nursing during pregnancy being harmful to the new baby.
I know some women who have a history of pre-term labor are advised not to nurse during pregnancy because nipple stimulation could cause contractions but I've never heard of any research confirming it can cause early delivery.
The only way in which breastfeeding changes your "chemistry" is by increasing prolactin levels but those have to drop for a woman to even ovulate and get pregnant so I can't imagine it would be a big issue.
I have to say, I'm suspicious of the idea that "primitive" or "traditional" societies have all the answers when it comes to breastfeeding when there are societies that believe colostrum is harmful to newborns and that an astrologist should be consulted as to when breastfeeding should start. Just my two cents...

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#6 of 12 Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 PM

I've nursed through 3 pregnancies and am now 8 weeks pregnant and plan to nurse through this one.  I've even nursed in labor! haha  Never any ill effects to the fetus or me.

Happy Mama to:

7 yo girl

5 yo boy

4 yo boy

2 yo girl

and 8 weeks pregnant!

#7 of 12 Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 PM

I have no idea why this posted 3 times, I'm sorry!

#8 of 12 Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

but you  have for high risk pregnancies? Although I would think it would make a difference in why high risk.

Only the info listed in the kellymom links above that gives a concern about nipple stimulation causing contractions that may lead to premature labour if that has been an issue in the past.

#9 of 12 Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
on the same subject-do other more..."primitive" cultures breastfeed during pregnancy? Or is this a new thing? It seems to me sometimes that those cultures are where we should be looking to for what is most natural.

If "primitive" does everything right, then all the practices should be accepted. Eating meat of a person that died from kuru (or any person)? Seeing a birth of twins as evil omen and misfortune, and kicking the mom & newborns out of the village, or killing them to banish evil?

How do we pick what is right and what is not - it's all primitive and down to earth, right?

Also I'm willing to bet that if any primitive culture does something because it's good and healthy and will bring good fortune, there is another simple culture that views it as a dirty taboo. (Ok, with the exception of eating with your mouth and breathing with the nose, probably.)

#10 of 12 Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

It may be related to birth spacing. I tend to look at primitive culture also when I am searching for what is natural, that or even the great apes, as we share so much of thier DNA.

From what I understand, tandem nursing is a modern practice resulting from closer birth intervals, and therefore two children of breastfeeding age. Where as primitive and traditional societies tend to space births further apart, either through lactational ammenorheah, sometimes also sexual abstinence, and likely nurse one child.

This is another MDC on the subject: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1078480/traditional-cultures-children-spacing-according-to-wapf/20

I read that in 1880, 96% of U.S  children were nursed 2-4 years. I am curious what a typical birth spacing was back then and if tandem nursing was common.

One caveat, throughout history, the wealthy or those of royalty, often had many closely spaced pregnancies, as fertility was regained much sooner due to the utilization of wet nurses.

More on birth spacing:

Quote:

In a study conducted in the West African country of Rwanda, a culture in which there were no contraceptives or taboos against intercourse after birth at the time, there were no differences in the birth intervals of bottle feeding mothers in the city compared to those in the rural areas. On the other hand, among breastfeeding mothers, there were significant differences. Among the city mothers who were already developing patterns of separation from their babies, 75% conceived between 6 and 15 months postpartum. However, in the rural areas, mothers had their babies with them all of the time, and 75% of the rural breastfeeding mothers conceived between 24 and 29 months postpartum.[5] An even more dramatic example of the effects of very frequent suckling is provided by the Kung tribe. (The exclamation point represents a clicking sound.) Anthropologists watched these people with stopwatches and found that the babies and toddlers were nursing an average of two minutes every 15 minutes, and the mothers were conceiving at about 35 months.[6] Such extended periods of breastfeeding infertility are rarely seen in Western culture. First of all, only a few Western mothers nurse that long although their number seems to be increasing. Secondly, there is some speculation that the richer diet of Western women may contribute to an earlier return of fertility.

source: http://www.cclcanada.org/ontario/q&a/

Regarding the Great Apes, they nurse for many years and birth roughly 5-8 years apart, depending on species. http://tinyurl.com/6lkkxsh  I have not read anything about them tandem nursing but they do breastfeed while pregnant but wean later into the pregnancy.

#11 of 12 Old 11-27-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

My issue is my (old) age. A TCM Dr said it was not good but I think it have to more to do with fluids and blood etc, in the TCM way.

OP, I did some Googling and found this: http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/4/1/6
According to the article, the traditional practice in China is to offer solids very early - a month after birth - and wean before 12 months. Could it be that the issue is your TCM doctor's biases?
PatioGardener likes this.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#12 of 12 Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

these were some great responses. THANKS

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page