Rash around eyes in breast feed baby that had to have some formula recently - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I’ve searched the forums and I can’t seem to find an answer… I am b-feeding exclusively my 5.5 month old DS. I had to take a topical medication and pump and dump for 24hrs and went through all frozen b-milk and had to do formula. I did Enfamil Gentle ease b/c that’s all the store had. He was ok at first and then I mixed just a small amt—like 1 oz and he broke out in a pin-point rash around his eyes. It was red. It wasn’t hives though. He looked like a raccoon. ): He def seems to be my senstive child.

Anyway, it looks like I have to do this topical medication again and I don’t have enough in reserve to last the whole 24 hrs, UGH. I have Earth’s Best now—the Dairy one (not Soy). It’s so hard to know what it was I guess--I've read that it could even be the DHA??? I am so nervous to give him more formula for fear of a worst reaction ( can that happen?). Any advice?

THANK YOU!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM

What medication is it?  Have you looked it up, or was it just that the doctor told you not to BF for 24 hours?

#3 of 3 Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

It was Permethrin 5% cream. Yes, yuck somehow the baby got scabies and then we all had to be treated. He again has questionable spots, I don't know if it bounced around the family or what. I'm not sure if I need to re-treat him or myself, but I am keeping a close eye on the spots/ I can't tell if they are from the first break out or not. They seem to be fading....

The baby had to have the cream and so did I. My derm suggested that I pump and dump. There was only a small study (5 person study) on b-feeding moms. All was ok. I think she didn't want him getting it twice as he got the cream too. She told me to dump for 24-48 hrs, I did about 30 hrs.

She actually told me that there is something better for babies with Scabies (I don't know the name) than Permethrin. It's milder. It was his Pediactrician who perscribed the Permethrin. I can't fret about it now but I do wish I used the stuff that she would have rather I did.  So, if we have to do that we will do the new cream for the baby. I'd have to do Permethrin she says. I hope and pray and I don't need to do this again. It's been terrible. if I find out the name of the new drug, I will post for all incase these nasty bugs cause anyone else trouble.

thanks for your help.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page