Baby pulling off the nipple - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A couple of weeks ago, my 3 month old began making eye contact with me while nursing, which is super sweet! And now he's onto something new, which happens about 50% of the time: he will nurse intently for a few minutes, then pull off every 10-20 seconds to look up at me, smile in delight, and then suck for another 10-20 seconds. I know that he's testing out the theory that I will be there, and he is double (triple, quadruple...) checking this out, and it's really adorable and heart-warming, but it's also kind of disruptive to nursing. He seems to be getting enough milk in general, but I'm wondering if I should just let him run this pattern, or if it's a sign that he's not really eating anymore, but he wants some face time instead. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 AM

Have you heard of EC? This is a common cue baby needs to eliminate.

#3 of 3 Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 AM

My son went through a stage where he pulled off my nipple many times during each session, when he was a little older than yours, maybe five or six months. It lasted maybe six or eight weeks? It was annoying after a while but he got enough to eat, so in the end, no biggie. When it was really annoying me, I'd sing to him and he would watch me without pulling off, it seemed to help distract him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page