What is your difinition of Extended Nursing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: At what age do you consider nursing you baby as Extended Nursing?
Nursing a baby over 12 months old. 115 100.00%
Nursing a baby over 2 years old. 123 100.00%
Nursing a child over 3 years old. 35 100.00%
Nursing a child over 5 years old. 15 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2002, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Extended nursing is anything longer than me! Dd2 is 25 months and is showing no signs of quitting!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would consider the line for extended breastfeeding soon after the baby "really" does not need breastfeeding insofar as his / her basic nutritional needs are concerned. That could be around two years or so, that is also prescribed in our religion. I would give a damn about what the society thinks "tolerable" so far as me bf'ing my baby is concerned. But the definition of "extended bf'ing" (in terms of baby's age) does not mean that one should deny the breast to the baby thereafter or weaning gets justified and be induced. Actually his /her "emotional needs" might continue much beyond that type of cut off definition (age) and the mother would be doing only her natural duty in allowing the baby / child to suckle even afterwards. I am told that sometimes because of such emotional needs even school going children seek bf'ing though it might not be regular, nor even for milk. Mothers rarely admit that they occasionally allow suckling to the child aged even 8 or more years. it is not necessary either (being a secret bond between the mother and the child) but not perverse in anyway (perversity is in the minds of those who are self styled representatives of society). For a better understsanding of the bf relationship, however, such statistics must also be explored.
Uzra
Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM

I definitely think it depends on society but in my opinion I would say over 4 but that wasnt an option so I said over 3... but that doesn't make it wrong though .. my dd is 18 months old and still nurses, although she does see to be slowing down ( weaning IDK ) and people gasp when I say I still nurse.. and the fact that I'm younger doesn't make it any better
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM

i answered beyond 12 based on the fact that i live in the us. i think elsewhere the answer might be more like 24+.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
my vote is: "The phrase 'extended nursing' should be stricken from the language, so that there is simply...nursing."

How's that?

"Extended" implies a "stretching out" of something--I haven't stretched out my children's nursing time, I've just met their needs.
: This is what I was going to say.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 PM

I voted 2 years because that is the recommended minimum, but I agree extended shouldn't be used.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 PM

I voted over 12 months.

Culturally, here, in my location, I don't run into moms that nurse past 6 MONTHS (if that ) very often, and those that do, generally go for the long-haul.

I do, however, know one mom who nursed twins for 9 or 10 months and another who pumped (got BM about 50% of the time she said) for twins for about 6-7 months. As a mom of only a singleton, I'm REALLY amazed by these women. I know how hard it was for me to nurse soooo much (but I loved EVERY second of it!) those first few months, that I can't IMAGINE doing it for two at a time. Maybe it's just MY view point, but I think nursing/pumping for twins (or more!!) for 6 months deserves more recognition than for a singleton.

I'm sure, however, if I was in a different location and breastfeeding long-term was more "the norm", it wouldn't faze me as much.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:07 PM

I went with after 3 years because I've been reading that most kids wean themselves naturally before then. Culturally, that's waaay out of bounds, I realize. If we're talking U.S. expectations, then past 1 year is definitely it.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:49 PM

I picked 2, but, really, extended nursing is one year older than my kids current age. Right now, that is 2.

Quote:
Maybe it's just MY view point, but I think nursing/pumping for twins (or more!!) for 6 months deserves more recognition than for a singleton.
You are super sweet. :

Mostly sane mother to twins.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadee View Post
You are super sweet. :
Aww! And here I thought I'd be FLAMED for it! :
Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 AM

i picked 3 years.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 AM

For me it is a child over 2 that I consider extended.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 AM

This thread is five years old

I set my minimum number nursing years at 2 since, according to even the mostly mainstream AAP, children up to two need a full fat milk and breastmilk has more than other milk sources. So to me, more than 2 years is extended.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Most children, around the globe, are nursed 4-7 yrs. - so I'd say "extended" is anything beyond that.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 AM

What an old thread! Extended nursing is anyone who was nursinng when this started and is still nursing now

That's me!!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines

User Tag List