Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I saw this under Recent Discussions and had to respond, even though my son is 16 and weaned many years ago!
My parents once took me aside when we were visiting them, and my son was just a baby. They wanted to talk about how I was feeding him. They wanted me to give him formula because "This thing you do; it's just not natural!".
I was so surprised, I burst out laughing! Bad move, since my father was very sensitive to being laughed at, but that's another story.

Good for you for being able to laugh it off! I'm super sensitive, so if my parents had said something like that to me when my baby was small I probably would have burst into tears.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#92 of 99 Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awritermom View Post

I ended up nursing ds1 until he was four.  Still nursing ds2 (21 months) and no comments from stepdad yet.  Guess over the years some of my comments must have sunk in a bit.  Or maybe my homeschooling takes up all the worry-space in his mind now.  ;-)

UGH, that's one of my issues with my dad right now. He made some comment the other day about "I guess that'll never happen [some bad thing on the television] to her, since you won't be letting her out of your sight." Like, uhhh...dad, seriously? I already explained that's not how homeschooling works (for us).

On our most recent visit, I was trying to nurse discreetly in the living room (despite the fact that my stepmom kept unsubtly hinting that I was making my dad and husband uncomfortable) and she suddenly asked, "Why don't you give her some water?" I explained in the friendliest way possible that breastfed babies don't need water, even in the desert, isn't that cool? Not two hours later, as I was nursing babygirl again, relegated to their bedroom, she said, "Can't you just give her some juice?" My daughter is 3 weeks old. Then again, she fed my youngest brother (10 years old now) solids at 3 months because she believes he is a "super baby" and she started spanking my middle brother at 8 months.

#93 of 99 Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 PM

I heard the must toughen your nipples advice, too, when pregnant 11 years ago.  Also heard lots of "you can't breastfeed twins."

The ones that make me most upset are the completely inaccurate comments from doctors. 

DD had anesthesia at 16 months to open a blocked tear duct and I was told by the ophthamologist that she had to fast for 12 hours prior, including breastmilk.  This for a child who hadn't gone more than 2 hours without nursing since birth.  To his credit, when I presented him with lots of research contraindicating the need to fast from breastfeeding, he readily agreed.  At least he was willing to learn. 

When my twins were 2, eating some solids but still getting the majority of their calories from nursing, our doctor told me that my milk didn't "count" any more and that they needed at least 24 oz of cow's milk a day for calcium.  WOW.  24 oz?!?!  I never calculated the calories out, but I'm fairly certain that would be more than the total calories they consumed (besides my milk) in a day.  That same day she insisted on testing their iron because they "must" be anemic.  She didn't even have the courtesy to come back into the room and tell me herself that their levels were fine, she sent her assistant.  That was the last straw w/ this doctor.

As my twins approached a year and beyond & were still nursing, I also got lots of "Oh, I could never keep doing THAT for SOO long" types of comments, like I was some sort of martyr sacrificing myself to breastfeed.  No, actually, breastfeeding makes my life easier.  They fall asleep quickly, they don't have tantrums, I never have to worry about not having a snack available. . .

My mom, who is a wonderful Grandma and has always supported my non-mainstream choices (she told me when I planned on having my 3rd at home that she didn't blame me because hospitals are horrible places . . . this from a woman who was a nurse), one time made some offhand comment that if I was still nursing when my twins were over a year, she wouldn't go out in public with me any more.  I was so shocked to hear that from her and immediately called her on it.  She now claims she never said that.

I'm so lucky to be surrounded by mom friends who also believe that breastfeeding until a child weans on their own, bedsharing for years, babywearing, etc. is just normal that it is now shocking to me when someone asks if my 3-year old (4 in Nov) is still nursing. 

pickle18 likes this.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#94 of 99 Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread, but I'm still fuming about this so I had to contribute. I was just told at my sons 1 month appt that he is over weight because he's gained 4 pounds since birth and I need to nurse him less. "stretch it out to every 3 hours" he's 97th percentile in height AND weight. He was born on the larger side and I nurse on demand! I wanted to tell the doctor "ok but when he's screaming cuz he's hungry before your 3 hours are up, I'm dropping him off with you!"

Oh, and when I was pregnant with my first and my grandma found out I wasn't planning on pumping she told me I was selfish because DH needed a chance to feed his baby too. To her credit, she has since confessed she is guilty that she listened to docs at the time and didn't nurse her 5 kids, and she is incredibly supportive of breast feeding. smile.gif

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#95 of 99 Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Oh wow... I would be finding a new doctor if they told me a 1-month-old was overweight - even if he was formula fed! I just don't think it's possible for a baby that age to overeat, especially with such tiny and relatively inelastic tummies!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#96 of 99 Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm0sweet View Post

I know this is an old thread, but I'm still fuming about this so I had to contribute. I was just told at my sons 1 month appt that he is over weight because he's gained 4 pounds since birth and I need to nurse him less. "stretch it out to every 3 hours" he's 97th percentile in height AND weight. He was born on the larger side and I nurse on demand! I wanted to tell the doctor "ok but when he's screaming cuz he's hungry before your 3 hours are up, I'm dropping him off with you!"

Oh, and when I was pregnant with my first and my grandma found out I wasn't planning on pumping she told me I was selfish because DH needed a chance to feed his baby too. To her credit, she has since confessed she is guilty that she listened to docs at the time and didn't nurse her 5 kids, and she is incredibly supportive of breast feeding. smile.gif

Sorry you were told that, but good for you for telling him off silently!! You know the truth, and he's a fool (at least where breastfeeding is concerned).
#97 of 99 Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm0sweet View Post

now you have me fuming!  MOST pediatricians...most people in general would give you a pat on the back and say   "GOOD JOB!!"   - not all EBF babies gain much weight at all in their first month - it takes time to get the nursing relationship working well.....4 lbs is a great accomplishment!.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#98 of 99 Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Oh, can we please do away with the growth charts?  My first went from 6 lbs at birth to 18 lbs at 4 months, just on breast milk, and the docs were freaking out that he was gaining too fast and he was too tall.  Then, when his weight gain tapered, and he only gained 5 lbs over the next eight months they were still freaking out.  Now with my second, who is shorter and a little stockier than the first, my husband was told at his one-year appt that he was too short.  Short of malnutrition, there's not much that parents can do to affect how tall a child grows.  And if the docs can't handle not having growth charts, can we at least get updated ones that reflect normal growth of an EBF infant?

#99 of 99 Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 AM

I was told by my mother in law that I had to essentially "sterilize" my breasts as one would bottle nipples. That I had to use soap to wash my breasts off after every feeding, because she saw our son developing acne on his face, flipped out, and said it was from not washing my breasts off after every time he fed. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page