Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it might be fun to share some of the silly, outrageous, and just plain WRONG things people have told us about breastfeeding over the years. :)

I went in with my second for the 6 month well visit. I was already unhappy with this doctor but hadn't decided whether to look for a new one yet. She asked how DD was sleeping, and I said lightly, "She sleeps great!" She pressed further, "Does she wake up at all?" I answered, "She wakes up a few times to nurse, but we both go right back to sleep." She then gravely told me that I should stop the night-nursing and that she didn't need it any more. I just sort of nodded and smiled, eager for the subject to be closed so we could talk about actual medical issues. :p She sensed that I wasn't really agreeing with her, and went on to say, "You know, studies have shown that getting up in the middle of the night to eat is linked with obesity."

So basically she equated my 6-month-old baby's night-nursing with an adult getting up at 3AM to eat fried chicken. dizzy.gifROTFLMAO.gifI was sitting there thinking, "Either she thinks I'm an idiot, or she's one- either way this is just not working out." hahaha.

Share yours! :)

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#2 of 99 Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 AM

I was told that nursing my toddler while pregnant would make my baby not grow and it would come out tiny. 8lbs isn't too tiny biglaugh.gif

Oh and nursing my baby past 6 months would make him into a sex crazy pervert...yeah

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#3 of 99 Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM

My sister asked (when I became pregnant with #2 when DS was about 15 months)  if DS was still nursing, and I said, actually, no, because the milk is gone, but otherwise we still would be. She wondered if nursing (past a year) would make him perverted or something. And she's got a degree in early childhood development!!!

I said noooo, many places actually recommend bf'ing until age 2.

Also, got asked (though in a nice curious, non-obnoxious way) if your milk goes "bad" after baby is 1.

I am also fascinated by what other people call it when baby eats/nurses. DH's grandma calls it "ninnies" - though this appears to be what she calls it regardless of whether it is formula or breastmilk. I've heard it called "num-nums" too  and I think "ne-ne"

DS never called it anything, just pointed to the boobs.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#4 of 99 Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

With my first baby, i was advised to wash my nipples with soap and water after every feeding. I didnt follow that advice, because it seemed really stupid to me, even though i didnt know much about breastfeeding then. For a start, that much soap and water on sensitive  nipples is going to cause  thrush in no time.

Later, when my almost 2yo was still nursing, his pediatrician advised me to wean, saying that it ''infantilized' him. Seriously?

Another time, a speech therapist advised me to wean my 6month old, because it caused mouth deformities that effected speech.

There are some real idiots out there, that call themselves professionals.

#5 of 99 Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post

I was told that nursing my toddler while pregnant would make my baby not grow and it would come out tiny. 8lbs isn't too tiny biglaugh.gif

I nursed ds1 throughout my 2nd pregnancy. Ds2 was born 9lbs 4.

#6 of 99 Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM

I was told to "rough up" my nipples while I was pregnant to get them used to being nursed on. I guess that kind of advice was pretty common in my mother's generation.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#7 of 99 Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM

When I was in transistional housing and DS was a newborn, the lady that ran the program told me that breastfeeding was irresponsible, because no one eats healthy enough to produce good milk. Even if her argument had an ounce of truth to it, it was a terrible argument to use on me since I'm borderline obsessive about healthy eating, and I'd done my research on breastfeeding anyways. She quizzed me constantly about my diet trying to find proof that I wasn't healthy enough to breastfeed. She was full of bizarre "facts" and advice.

#8 of 99 Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Relatives and friends looked pointedly at my chest and said, "You won't have enough milk. Chinese women rarely have enough milk." 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#9 of 99 Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Oh my gosh, this is hilarious!!!

Mine: You can nurse him? But your breasts are so small!!!

I THOUGHT: Wow, thanks! Openly I laughed and said that yep, they still work wink1.gif

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#10 of 99 Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM

These are hysterical. I had a real doozy from my DS's former pediatrician. I never felt quite comfortable with her, which should have been a sign that the relationship wasn't the best for us, but she was close by. At his one year well-baby visit she asked what he ate and I told her he was exclusively breastfed. She looked completely aghast and said, "But how do you even know if it's good after a year?!" Those were her exact words. "... How do you even know if it's good after a year?" A pediatrician said that. Wow.

Needless to say, I found a new pediatrician the very next day.

#11 of 99 Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyNameHere View Post

These are hysterical. I had a real doozy from my DS's former pediatrician. I never felt quite comfortable with her, which should have been a sign that the relationship wasn't the best for us, but she was close by. At his one year well-baby visit she asked what he ate and I told her he was exclusively breastfed. She looked completely aghast and said, "But how do you even know if it's good after a year?!" Those were her exact words. "... How do you even know if it's good after a year?" A pediatrician said that. Wow.

Needless to say, I found a new pediatrician the very next day.

hehe didn't you know breast milk has an expiration date biggrinbounce.gif

babymamaround1 likes this.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#12 of 99 Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 PM

When my first was born, my mother was adamant that new mothers needed to drink plenty of milk so that they could make milk.  At first I thought this was logical, but as I thought about it, I've never seen a lactating cow drink milk, and they make lots!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#13 of 99 Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM

This morning I went to the doctor's office and the nurse (who is an OB nurse) was asking me intake questions. I told her my 5mo is EBF and is a big chunky guy at almost 20lbs. She looked shocked and asked how a baby that big could survive on just milk alone! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#14 of 99 Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM

DD is 6 weeks and experiencing some decent reflux issues. While we were trying to troubleshoot still, my mother continually told me that I should go to my doctor and get my milk tested, because with all four of us, she was only able to breastfeed until 3 months... and then her milk went sour. 

How do you politely tell your own mother that she's been duped big time and has no opportunity to go back and correct it?

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#15 of 99 Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

DD is 6 weeks and experiencing some decent reflux issues. While we were trying to troubleshoot still, my mother continually told me that I should go to my doctor and get my milk tested, because with all four of us, she was only able to breastfeed until 3 months... and then her milk went sour. 

How do you politely tell your own mother that she's been duped big time and has no opportunity to go back and correct it?

Oh man. Well no need to tell her, it'll just hurt her and as you said, there's nothing she can do now. Just focus on your own situation, and tell white lies if you have to- tell her your doctor said there's no reason to worry about the quality of your milk.

As a tangent, my first had horrible reflux and went on meds for it and I was told by his pediatric gastro that I shouldn't bother cutting dairy or anything else from my diet. He was later (after I'd weaned) diagnosed with a dairy intolerance. With DD, as soon as she showed signs of reflux I cut out dairy. It took a week but was like turning off a faucet. I didn't even need to carry a bupr cloth any more. Then I started to doubt it and on mother's day had a massive dairy binge at a brunch buffet- strawberries and cream etc. Three days of constant puking from her. :( Anyway, point is, might be worth checking out your diet if you haven't already. It takes some time for the allergens to clear out but it can make a difference. And if you're already tried that I apologize for the unsolicited advice. :)

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#16 of 99 Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM

I got a new one today. I was talking to an old friend on the phone, and upon learning that DS is still breastfeeding at 17 months, she asked "Now don't you think it's time to wean?". I said he would stop breastfeeding when he's ready, but that I hope to continue until at least 2. After a dramatic bout of choking and sputtering, she informed me that if I let him nurse that long, he will grow up to be obsessed with breasts. I cracked up. Yes, I must wean him now else he is doomed to be a boob man.

#17 of 99 Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

I'm sorry,

But Yeah don't tell her. White lie, doctor said I'm good. My grandmother didn't breastfeed after her 1st because one day her milk dryed up and she was told she just couldn't breastfeed so the next two were condensed milk/ corn syrup babies. A little prodding...Yeah her milk did dry up but because of pregnancy with my uncle. There's no point in telling her now, it would just make her feel bad.

But BOY it makes me mad at those stupid doctors. splat.gif

#18 of 99 Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post

I got a new one today. I was talking to an old friend on the phone, and upon learning that DS is still breastfeeding at 17 months, she asked "Now don't you think it's time to wean?". I said he would stop breastfeeding when he's ready, but that I hope to continue until at least 2. After a dramatic bout of choking and sputtering, she informed me that if I let him nurse that long, he will grow up to be obsessed with breasts. I cracked up. Yes, I must wean him now else he is doomed to be a boob man.

lol.gif

#19 of 99 Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM

I have no doubt my son is and will be a boob man. (Now, whether that's due to breastfeeding or not, I can't say)

What will it do to your daughters? Just curious.

On a related, but not, note, DH's grandma told us DS's sucking his thumb would give him big lips. LOL

I have gotten alot of comments to the effect that "doesn't your milk go bad after a year?" like it's got an expiration date.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#20 of 99 Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post

I'm sorry,

But Yeah don't tell her. White lie, doctor said I'm good. My grandmother didn't breastfeed after her 1st because one day her milk dryed up and she was told she just couldn't breastfeed so the next two were condensed milk/ corn syrup babies. A little prodding...Yeah her milk did dry up but because of pregnancy with my uncle. There's no point in telling her now, it would just make her feel bad.

Oh no, I mean I wouldn't actually tell her, you guys are right, no good could come of it, but it makes me so frustrated, especially because now she thinks it really is a valid concern, and brings it up almost every time we talk. 

I was at a LLL meeting last night, and one of the girls who has a 14 month old was told by her dentist that her son needs to nightwean, because he's getting spots on his teeth from the milk. And if she doesn't wean, then she has to get up and brush his teeth after every nursing session. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#21 of 99 Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I have no doubt my son is and will be a boob man. (Now, whether that's due to breastfeeding or not, I can't say)

What will it do to your daughters? Just curious.

Clearly, it will make them lesbians. Which is why there are so many more now than "back in the old days", because more babies are EBF'd now... oh, wait. No, no they're not. Myth BUSTED!

Also, I'm virtually certain dh was not BF'd past a year, and he's DEFINITELY a boob man... must have come from watching his mom BF his younger sisters, I guess. orngtongue.gif

No one has personally told me anything dumb about BF'ing yet, but I'm sure it will happen once I actually start doing it.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28**32***36***40** Oct 2014
#22 of 99 Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM

I'm lucky to be surrounded by pro-breastfeeding folks...but on the bus, a lady was going on about her daughter planning on breastfeeding and her fears that her grandchild would be MORE INCLINED TO BE A CANNIBAL! 

I found very important papers to look through.  Not touching that crazy with a ten foot poll.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#23 of 99 Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

I'm lucky to be surrounded by pro-breastfeeding folks...but on the bus, a lady was going on about her daughter planning on breastfeeding and her fears that her grandchild would be MORE INCLINED TO BE A CANNIBAL! 

I found very important papers to look through.  Not touching that crazy with a ten foot poll.

FIREdevil.gif she figured out our evil plan!!!!

#24 of 99 Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Another one of those things where there no point in telling an older woman that her dr. was either flat wrong or lying to her.  My DH's grandmother warned me several times when DD was an infant to watch her growth because when her 2nd was 5 months old her milk suddenly "turned to water" and she had to wean.  This was what her dr. told her when her 5 month old apparently wasn't gaining as much weight as expected.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#25 of 99 Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM

These are hilarious! It's amazing the things people think up! 

When I was pregnant my (childless) sister INSISTED on getting me bottles. She was adamant that if I wanted to breastfeed that I needed to pump and give it in a bottle because she knew about foremilk and hindmilk and was very concerned that the baby wouldn't get the proper ratio. The milk has to be mixed up to make sure that happens. How else will you know the baby is getting proper nutrition!?

I still have those bottles...in a closet somewhere...still in the original packaging...  

#26 of 99 Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhie View Post

Relatives and friends looked pointedly at my chest and said, "You won't have enough milk. Chinese women rarely have enough milk." 

bahaha, yes, that explains why there are so many chinese people in the world, because their mothers can hardly ever feed them... twins.gif

sweetpea_119 likes this.
#27 of 99 Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 PM

A pediatrician I was interviewing while pregnant recommended against co-sleeping because with all the extra nursing I would get no sleep.  She said, "It's like if somebody offered you a milkshake every hour, you'd take it, right?"

Um, no, I actually don't think I would.  As an adult I could drink shakes all day, but I don't.  And what if we're not talking dessert, but an actual healthy meal - like breastmilk is for a baby.  Would you eat an egg salad sandwich every hour?  Would we all eat constantly if given the chance??

#28 of 99 Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM

My husbands grandmother kept telling me and urging me to not breastfeed past 6 months and that my milk is no longer good ... :O I was even a little worried. I don't know why I let her get to me b/c I read everything that says bm is the best. 

My son is 6 months (and 20 perfect chunky monkey lbs) in a couple days and EBF - besides playing with some solids (like raw veggies) here and there ....

My FIL once said that I should give him food b/c he is too hungry to be satisfied by BM ... ok. 

and my husbands sister and mother pleaded with me to pump my milk instead of breastfeed b/c I would have no life and I need to get away. Umm.. I love being with my son :D lol joy.gif

#29 of 99 Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM

blackbird, that's really funny ROTFLMAO.gif... every mom I know is so desperately exhausted and getting no sleep and their babies do not sleep .... but my son sleeps with my husband and I in bed and has since birth and we've all had the best sleep! Yeah, I have exhausted days, but that's just how I am even before pregnancy and baby.

#30 of 99 Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I was told to "rough up" my nipples while I was pregnant to get them used to being nursed on. I guess that kind of advice was pretty common in my mother's generation.

same here! my ob said it right in the middle of examining me during one of monthly pregnancy visits - she grabbed one of my nipples and, i don't know any other words, kinda *plucked* at it and then *kneaded* it, like bread.. and then did it again. i was shocked and embarrassed. the next month, i asked her not to do that, a bit shyly, but still please don't do that. she did it again, laughing me off.

i switched obs that week, had my homebirth baby a few months later, and besides the normal adjustments one makes when first breastfeeding (yeah, it hurt a little! but i'm sure that had nothing to do with my non-roughed-up nipples), we were breastfeeding without problems by week 9. still going strong at 10 months tomorrow! so there, doc! pffffffffft! :P

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page