Is This Safe When Breastfeeding Question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I have checked with my LC and my own Dr. Hale book and cannot find anything on this:

Sodium Hydroxide.  I have an recurring ingrown toenail that I have been a slave with going back and forth to toe doc.  I'm over going there and getting avulsions (removing the ingrown portion of the nail) and the podiatrist suggested I get this solution dabbed on to kill the root of the ingrown toenail.  She said it's on there for merely seconds and then she pours vinegar over it to stop it.  So, it's topical.  My LC said, unless baby is sucking on my toes, that it's probably fine winky.gif.

Just wanted to double check on here as I cannot find anything that says not to.  It's a chemical but it is topical and its on for seconds.  This is done after a local (the safe one - can't remember which one though).

Thanks!!

Mama to two wonderful boys DS1 (May 2007) and DS2 (March 2011)      

bfinfant.gif    femalesling.GIF  familybed2.giflactivist.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Isn't that the same as lye that some use when making soap?  Since it's only on for seconds, and topical like you said, I doubt it will have a chance to even get into your breastmilk.  I say go for it.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 3 Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Sodium hydroxide is lye and it is present in many of the things you already use around your baby. It is a strong base and the vinegar (acid) neutralizes it after it has done it's job. It would stay on your skin and once the vinegar is added it is harmless.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page