Breast Changes in Pregnancy question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pregnant with my first baby and due in April.  I plan on breastfeeding (seriously, I will breastfeed or die trying winky.gif ).  I am a CLC and hoping to take my IBCLC next year.  So, I have a fair amount of knowledge and I've been helping other women for the last 8 years or so.  Anyhow, I have some concerns about the breast changes that I've had.  Right at the beginning of my pregnancy one of my breasts grew more and my nipple itched like crazy on that side because it grew as well.  Both of my breasts got larger and the areolas got darker.  My concern is my left breast hasn't gotten as large and the nipple on that side didn't grow like my other breast.  Is this something to worry about?  What have others noticed during pregnancy?  TIA!

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#2 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Many moms have 1 breast that produces more than the other. It generally isn't an issue. I've met not one but two moms who successfully nursed their babies with only one breast, and several moms who have nursed twins (which works out to only 1 breast per baby).

Wishing you a wonderful birth and a great breastfeeding relationship!

#3 of 8 Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM

My breasts are two different sizes, the larger one produces more and has an easier let down.  But the other "works" fine as well. During pregnancy, they were closer in size, but there has still been an obvious difference.

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#4 of 8 Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM

Your breasts will continue to change. You know how rare it is for a woman to not be able to breastfeed and how abnormal her breasts and/or hormones are. I think it just means so much to you that you are concerned.

With my oldest son I wanted a vaginal birth with no interventions and my husband with me and I wanted to breastfeed. It was 1979 and that was hard to find. I went to 7 doctors that told me I was too small to birth vaginally. Then I found a group practice of several doctors and a CNM 2 hours away from my home. They said they would let me try to do things my way. I worked for a Purdue extension campus and I had read every book I could get from the Purdue main campus on childbirth and breastfeeding. I was prepared but I think I was so afraid that I went 3 weeks past my due date. I went into labor when the CNM was on duty and everything went the way I wanted. My baby was born knowing how to breastfeed and we had no problems.

Try not to worry and enjoy your pregnancy. Remember that if you breastfeed in the first hour after birth, use no artificial nipples, and breastfeed often chances are excellent you will have no significant problems breastfeeding.  

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#5 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses!  I really appreciate it :-)  I know if will be okay and I shouldn't worry-- just wanted some reassurance.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#6 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM

As someone who had NO changes in my breasts during any of my pregnancies, it sounds like yours are changing right on target.  Did you have any troubles getting pregnant?

If you are considering becoming a licensed lactation consultant, however, PLEASE disregard the user's comment about how rare it is to not be able to breastfeed.  It's actually more and more commonplace because it's all hormonal - and with scientific advancements in the field of fertility more women who would never have gotten pregnant on their own are becoming pregnant - but that doesn't mean that they can or will be able to breastfeed because those horomonal implications are long stretching.   PLEASE never say how "rare" a case is to a client - because it doesn't matter how rare it is when you are the one affected.  It is just hurtful.

Okay, off my soapbox - but it sounds like you are having changes and shouldn't experience any problems unless you have other hormonal background factors in place!

#7 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

Your breasts will continue to change. You know how rare it is for a woman to not be able to breastfeed and how abnormal her breasts and/or hormones are. I think it just means so much to you that you are concerned.

I think its dangerous to tell someone that its truly rare! I read that prior to my DD's birth & I was DEVASTATED when I was told by 3 different IBCLCs that I had primary lactation failure. When I hear "rare", I think of "rare" as in "your chances of winning MegaMillions is RARE". Lactation failure happens more often than people would like to admit.

I'm a Babywearing slinggirl.gif, Cloth diaperingcd.gif, BFing bfinfant.gifusing an SNS, Bedsharing Mamafamilybed1.gif to  DD babygirl.gifborn July '11 at homehomebirth.jpg

#8 of 8 Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM

I normally don't post anything on these sites, but after reading this string I thought my story could help put things in perspective for some of you worrying gals.  I read this chain in the first place because my period is as late as it's been in over 6 months (I'm highly irregular) and holding out hope against all hope that I could still be pregnant despite absolutely no change or sensativity to my breasts.  Any plausible explanation would do.  Thank you for offering one for me on this chain. At this moment, I'm grateful for anything that offers even that slightest bit of hope.  Indeed, I'd sign on the dotted line over and over again for a healthy baby of my own any way I could.       

You see - I have high FSH - bad eggs... The docs put my odds at about 1% natural, and I might not even be a candidate for IVF either.  All we can do is pray and hope - and try to have faith...  So please please girls - all of you.  Don't cause those healthy babies growing inside of you extra stress.  Please don't allow yourselves to be "devastated" about the possibility (or even certainty) of having to bottle feed your precious miracle.  I know everything is relative, but please girls, I beg you all to consider that the worst outcome in this is that your babies end up eating formula which is what many many of us gals were given back in the day (myself included) and most of us turned out okay didn't we?  Please gals!  I pray for all of you.  And congratulations on the wonderful gifts growing inside of you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page