Getting baby to go to sleep without nursing to sleep? - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding > Getting baby to go to sleep without nursing to sleep?
smeep's Avatar smeep 03:19 PM 01-17-2012

DD is 11 months old and always nurses to sleep (with rare exception, which is only ever in the car, on the bus in the sling, etc., and often not then). I have no issue with her nursing at night, and if for some reason she's awake when I go to bed it's fine then, but it's the naps and her regular bedtime (way before mine) that drive me nuts. She ALWAYS nurses to sleep. I'd love to be able to lay her down, tuck her in and walk away sometimes, but I don't think I'll ever get that lucky. lol So I'd settle for being with her, but getting her down without the boob so I don't have to wait forever to get my nipple out without her stirring and latching back on. 

So, suggestions? Obviously CIO is not an option, but I don't know how to do it. She knows I got the good stuff and gets angry if I don't give it to her. She doesn't have any pacifiers (I did have one hanging around and tried it a few times, didn't work). I don't care if she has to nurse to sleep sometimes, just not ALL the time anymore...I'm going nuts. 

TIA!

ETA: Any tips on how to get her to sleep better, too? She's a good night sleeper, but often wakes during naps (and then wants to nurse) and lots of times ends up waking early and not getting a good nap.

foreverinbluejeans's Avatar foreverinbluejeans 04:52 PM 01-17-2012

Thats the way babies are supposed to be.

Instead of changing a normal, healthy behavior in a baby you can change what you think about your child's behavior or you can change your behavior. For example if her bedtime is way before your bedtime you can make her bedtime later or your bedtime earlier. My grandson goes to sleep (bed) between 10 and 11 at night.

I had 3 breastfed children and never was able to lay any of them down, walk away, and they fall asleep. My oldest son only slept in my arms or next to me in bed. I couldn't lay him down at all. Once I accepted that's the way he was I adjusted. I kept books and water by the couch and bed so I could read while I held him. I develped a real love of reading while he was nursing.

Up