Getting baby to go to sleep without nursing to sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD is 11 months old and always nurses to sleep (with rare exception, which is only ever in the car, on the bus in the sling, etc., and often not then). I have no issue with her nursing at night, and if for some reason she's awake when I go to bed it's fine then, but it's the naps and her regular bedtime (way before mine) that drive me nuts. She ALWAYS nurses to sleep. I'd love to be able to lay her down, tuck her in and walk away sometimes, but I don't think I'll ever get that lucky. lol So I'd settle for being with her, but getting her down without the boob so I don't have to wait forever to get my nipple out without her stirring and latching back on. 

So, suggestions? Obviously CIO is not an option, but I don't know how to do it. She knows I got the good stuff and gets angry if I don't give it to her. She doesn't have any pacifiers (I did have one hanging around and tried it a few times, didn't work). I don't care if she has to nurse to sleep sometimes, just not ALL the time anymore...I'm going nuts. 

TIA!

ETA: Any tips on how to get her to sleep better, too? She's a good night sleeper, but often wakes during naps (and then wants to nurse) and lots of times ends up waking early and not getting a good nap.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 2 Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thats the way babies are supposed to be.

Instead of changing a normal, healthy behavior in a baby you can change what you think about your child's behavior or you can change your behavior. For example if her bedtime is way before your bedtime you can make her bedtime later or your bedtime earlier. My grandson goes to sleep (bed) between 10 and 11 at night.

I had 3 breastfed children and never was able to lay any of them down, walk away, and they fall asleep. My oldest son only slept in my arms or next to me in bed. I couldn't lay him down at all. Once I accepted that's the way he was I adjusted. I kept books and water by the couch and bed so I could read while I held him. I develped a real love of reading while he was nursing.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page