feeding schedule for 2 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be heading back to work when my baby is 2 months old. I was blessed to find a new job where I will be on days joy.gif and I'll be able to set my own schedule so I will be working less (hopefully an average of 2 days per week). On the days I work I will be gone about 14 hours a day. To make things easier for caregivers, should I try to put DS2 on some sort of feeding schedule (especially in the early morning hours). Right now we nurse on demand, which is fine with me, but I can see how it would be a problem for someone (like my mom or DH) that is taking care of the baby while trying to get ready for their own job. Might it be easier for me to pump if DS2 was on a schedule? I don't know. I guess I could at least estimate how many bottles he might need.

Thoughts? Any BTDT moms?

We are EBF and it is very important to me that we stay that way.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#2 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Here's a great handout about bottle feeding a breastfed baby. It talks about bottle feeding on cue - which will actually be easier for a care giver once they get the hang of reading baby's cues, because babies just don't get hungry on a schedule - especially when they are so young.

Feeding on cue will allow baby to quench his thirst and calm his hunger and sooth his fears when he needs to, and the great thing about breastmilk is that if baby doesn't finish a bottle it can be saved in the fridge for next feeding!

Congrats on your job that allows you to set your schedule! I was so fortunate to have 12 months of maternity leave (I'm Canadian) so I can't imagine having to go back to work at 2 months, but I hope it goes well and you are able to have the time you need to pump! (Although you feed on cue, at 2 months I'd pump every 2 hours if possible to keep up supply and avoid mastitis. I didn't pump until 12 months though, so another Mum will have good pumping advice for you.)

Good luck!

#3 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM

I had this same thought when I was preparing to go back to work, but in the end I realized that DS will still make his hunger signs even if I'm not there, and will only eat what he's hungry for (the handout that PP mentioned above is great for this). So, don't worry about scheduling at all for the baby. But for you, the biggest tip I can say is to be very firm about your pumping needs at work. I have seen co-workers get pressured into the busy work lifestyle and put off pumping here and there, and little-by-little they had to start supplementing because their supply dropped. So, for me, I schedule my pumping into my work schedule (it helps that I have a wonderful boss).

The website workandpump.com is the best thing out there for a working, breastfeeding mom. Also Kellymom.com and of course MDC!

As for how much to leave, this calculator from Kellymom is great for that. DS usually eats 8-12 oz while I'm away for 8 hrs.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 PM

What is most important is what is best for your baby not what is easier for the care provider.

It's best for young babies to be fed small amounts (less than 4 oz) frequently even if they would take more. Babies can overeat and that can lead to problems including reflux. The baby may need to eat every 2-3 hours. You usually want to limit the amount a baby eats to around an ounce an hour you are away. Working 14 hours is a long time. It may be better in the first couple of months if you could be away less hours for more days. You may end up having problems with plugged ducts or infections working that long. Some babies don't take bottles well and sleep a lot when mom is gone. This may be ok for 6-8 hours but not for 14 hours. I used to take care of my breastfed grandson. On the days my dil would work over and be away 12 hours it would be awful for me and my grandson. I would be exhausted and he would be upset the whole evening. It may be unreasonable to expect your mother to take care of your baby for 14-15 hours.  

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

What is most important is what is best for your baby not what is easier for the care provider.

It's best for young babies to be fed small amounts (less than 4 oz) frequently even if they would take more. Babies can overeat and that can lead to problems including reflux. The baby may need to eat every 2-3 hours. You usually want to limit the amount a baby eats to around an ounce an hour you are away. Working 14 hours is a long time. It may be better in the first couple of months if you could be away less hours for more days. You may end up having problems with plugged ducts or infections working that long. Some babies don't take bottles well and sleep a lot when mom is gone. This may be ok for 6-8 hours but not for 14 hours. I used to take care of my breastfed grandson. On the days my dil would work over and be away 12 hours it would be awful for me and my grandson. I would be exhausted and he would be upset the whole evening. It may be unreasonable to expect your mother to take care of your baby for 14-15 hours.  

Thank you all for your input so far. smile.gif

I wanted to specifically address this post b/c maybe it will clarify. Fourteen hours includes drive time. I will only be away an average of 1-2 days per week. I'm not really worried about my supply. I'm mostly worried about leaving enough for the baby. And I'm worried about my caregivers b/c they will have their own children plus all three of mine. For this job to work out, I have to have reliable caregivers so I don't want to burn them out. That being said, I don't want to stress out/hurt the baby, either. He eats very frequently (every 1 1/2-2 hours) and doesn't nap well unless held. I guess the whole situation has me a little freaked out and worried. But unfortunately I have to work in order for us to pay our bills.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM

Would your care giver consider wearing the baby? If you got an easy to use carrier (maybe like an ergo or a wrap if they have the patience to learn to tie it) it would take out the stress of needing to hold the baby for naps etc - as wearing a baby is so easy for both baby and care giver!

#7 of 7 Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Sometimes you can make changes so you don't have to work. When I had my oldest child I made twice as much as my husband and planned to go back to work. My baby did not do well with me leaving ti work even part time. We sold both of our cars, bought a $300 car and moved into a mobile home. I did baby sitting when I had to. If you don't want to work you may be able to find alternatives.   

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page