Finding donor milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Luckily we have been blessed with donor milk since we discovered my twins formula intolarence and my milk dried up until now. So far I've used Human Milk for Human Babies and Eats on Feets to find mommas. We just lost our largest donor and I'm having the hardest time finding new donors. It is hard to keep up with the amount my twins eat! Does anyone have any ideas? 

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 04:31 PM

I don't, other than RAW goats milk if you can't find human milk.  I'm so sorry you just lost your biggest donor.  Good luck.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 01-28-2012, 04:40 PM

not sure what area if the country you live in, have you asked in you regional "finding Your Tribe"?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Those would be the two I was going to suggest...where do you live?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

We are in northern California. I tried goats milk last time we ran out, it didn't sit well with the girls :(

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 PM

Can you do a blend of some kind, rather than waiting till you run out to change to something? Maybe a little carefully chosen formula in each bottle will make the donor milk last as much as you need it.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

That is what I tried last time with the raw goats milk. I tried doing every other bottle momma milk. It caused typical lactose intolerant symptoms. We can't do formula at all, the girls are allergic to something but we don't know what. We tried 5 different brands before going to donor milk. We are doing mostly solids but they are still little and need the milk for at least a few more months. *sigh*

Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM

I wish you lived near me.  I would give you all the raw goat milk you needed.  I did that for a friend once who needed to make her Eats on Feets milk go further (she was having a dental procedure done and couldn't nurse for a few days).  I was so so so sad that my milk had already dried up.  That's one thing about never nursing again-you don't have milk to share!  So sad!

Any chance you can find a wet nurse?  I did that once too, but the lady was staying with us and it was relatively easy to do.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM

With my first kid I found the family I donated to on backpage.com.  It's sort of like a less-used, regional craigslist.  Mom posted that she was in need and I followed up with her.  With the second kid I found the family on http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/connect.  I posted that I was looking to donate and the mom contacted me.

Have you tried either of those?  Can you post on CL?  I'm not sure if they have rules against that or not.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 PM

I wish you were closer!  I have a freezer stash I'd love to give you, but I am in Canada.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

I wish you were closer!  I have a freezer stash I'd love to give you, but I am in Canada.

Darn! Thanks for the thought :)

You can't post for milk on Craigslist but I haven't tried backpage, thanks!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:37 AM

Modern Milksharing?? It's a smaller site than Human Milk 4 Human Babies, but maybe you will have some luck! I hope you find some milk!!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, trying those resources!

User Tag List