anxiety about toddler weaning - how did you cope? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
cww

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our 1 year old isn't weaning per se (any more than every kid is weaning once they start some amount of solids), but she's now starting to need fluids other than BM, and I feel like my breasts just aren't as full as they used to be. 

We also had a lot of trouble with her getting enough BM her first 3-4 months because of an undiagnosed posterior tongue tie, and that has predisposed me to always worry about whether or not she is getting enough.  At her last weight check a few weeks ago, we saw that she hadn't gained more than a few ounces over the last 3.5 months, so that also tapped into my anxieties about her getting enough from when she was a newborn. 

She sometimes eats a good amount of solids, but not consistently - yesterday she didn't really eat any lunch or dinner, only breakfast and a tiny bit of a snack.  At the same time, my supply really dips between O and AF, so it can really start to feel like my milk is drying up during that time. 

I know that she will eat when she is hungry, and that she isn't going to starve as long as we always offer her food.  And I know that it is unlikely that my milk will just all dry up suddenly.  But I can't help feeling all this anxiety that suddenly there just won't be enough milk for her, and that because she's already relatively old, I won't be able to get it back, and she will either be really unhappy because I can't give her the milk she wants or that she will just stop nursing altogether really soon.  I know that babies "in nature" don't typically wean until much later (and my daughter hasn't shown any signs of losing interest in nursing yet), but of course we don't live "in nature," as I work away from her for about 9 hours per day six days a week, and even though she still usually nurses at least once around my lunch break, it just feels like our nursing relationship is tapering off as she gets more mobile and as my breasts tend to feel less full. 

I was probably always atypical, in that my left breast at least almost always felt a bit hard and engorged when it was time to feed her, but now I don't have that so much.  It also takes me much longer to get a letdown now.  I know that these kinds of changes are probably natural as a kiddo gets older, and that it doesn't necessarily mean that the nursing relationship is ending any time soon, but I'm having trouble not being anxious about it anyway.  Did anyone else have these kinds of feelings?  How did you cope with it?  Was there something in particular that helped you to feel more reassured?  (I don't know anyone else nursing a toddler, so I have no basis for comparison about what is "normal"...)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011

EDD for number 2 on 2/28/2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page