White nipple, breast pain...improper latching, thrush, or vasospasms? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I *think* it's related to the blood flow resuming to the nipple. Generally the vasospasm will occur due to compression, so as things get flowing back into the area, I think is what causes the burning. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#32 of 35 Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Not sure if anyone asked this yet, but what does your nipple look like after baby nurses? Is it round? Is there a line on it? Is it squished like the top of a a new tube of lipstick?

#33 of 35 Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Still can't quote. Sorry

I agree that it happens hours later because it takes a while for the blood flow to return. I find it's worse if my nipple gets brushed too roughly or something. I have been meaning to get those things for my bars that keep my bra away from my nipples. Does anyone know what they are called? They are like plastic shields?

Op have you tried the b6?

And another poster was asking about the shape of your nipple after nursing. If it has a crease that is usually shallower latch or tongue tie. Was his tongue checked? It could also be clamping down due to an over active let down. These would all make the vasospasms worse.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#34 of 35 Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

I had the ped look at him at his last visit last week and he confirmed there was no tongue-tie.  However, my left nipple always looks like it is smushed down a bit after nursing, like pointing downward, not really like a tube of lipstick, just kind of like he smushed it.  My right seems to look normal.  I definitely think I have an overactive letdown on my left side and I do think he is clamping down.  Actually, I KNOW he does clamp down sometimes because it hurts like a son-of-a-....biggrinbounce.gif That has to be part of why the pain on the left side is more intense sometimes than the right.  I haven't tried the B6 yet.  I do notice that the pain is more bearable and I'm not sure why.  I don't know if it's because I am used to it, because I cut out caffeine, or maybe because I am more aware of his latch (or all of the above!) It still bothers me sometimes but seemed to have lessened.

pickle18 likes this.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#35 of 35 Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post

I definitely think I have an overactive letdown on my left side and I do think he is clamping down.  Actually, I KNOW he does clamp down sometimes because it hurts like a son-of-a-....biggrinbounce.gif That has to be part of why the pain on the left side is more intense sometimes than the right.  I haven't tried the B6 yet.  I do notice that the pain is more bearable and I'm not sure why.  I don't know if it's because I am used to it, because I cut out caffeine, or maybe because I am more aware of his latch (or all of the above!) It still bothers me sometimes but seemed to have lessened.

http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipple-blanching.html

You may have already read them, but just in case...

Also, I don't trust doctors 100% to know about tongue-tie. You may want to check out the tongue-tie thread to look at some pics yourself just to see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page