Newborn won't stay latched - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-26-2012, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cross posted from Breastfeeding Challenges

My ds is nearly a month old & we're having issues. He was born tongue tied, which I finally managed to get clipped yesterday.

I've been using a nipple shield since he was 2 days because he was constantly slipping off and wasn't able to transfer milk without it. Even with the shield, he hasn't been gaining very well except when I Hirt my wrists doing compressions.

He's alert & peeing/pooping lots, but still isn't back to birth weight.

He nursed really well on both sides right after the tie was clipped and I thought we'd be fine, but nearly every time I've tried since he's come off every 30 seconds or so. That's when I can get him to open enough to latch in the first place and keep his hands out of the way. After multiple attempts I get so frustrated I just give up and use the shield since he nurses well with it.

I'm hoping he can gain even with the shield now the tongue tie isn't an issue, my other kids did, but I'd like to get off the shield if we can.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#2 of 6 Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 AM

Have you tried nursing him with the shield for a few minutes, to take the edge off his hunger, THEN taking it off and working on the latch?  He's probably trying, thinking "nope, this feels weird" and coming off because he's not getting the milk he's looking for.  When babies are hungry they get frustrated much quicker.  I know a fair few mums who had to wean off the shield by "slipping it out" when baby was feeding, rather than beginning without it.

Hang in there, you're doing really well to have managed to keep going this long with a physical problem to overcome, and it will probably just take a few more days for you guys to get the hang of everything.  A lot of babies are still getting the hang of nursing at 2 weeks old, and he started anew from yesterday, so give it a wee bit of time, keep trying.

If you're finding it very frustrating then try taking a bath or a nudey-nap together.  Close time with a lot of skin inevitably makes babies think of nursing and if he's not actually hungry but nursing more for that closeness he, and you, might be able to feel a bit more relaxed and he may well spontaneously latch himself on.

And don't worry about your poor wrists, in the next few days your baby's latch will improve, and your supply will bounce up, and your wrists won't need to ache anymore!

#3 of 6 Old 02-26-2012, 05:27 AM

hug2.gif Was it an anterior or posterior tie?

If your baby hasn't been transferring well for the first month (because of the tongue-tie) you may want to consider some ways to boost your supply. Pumping or expressing after a feed, eating oatmeal, herbs and domperidone are all ways that have helped moms to increase their supply - and of course nursing often! You didn't mention if you have been doing anything to maintain/boost your supply, so I thought I'd throw that idea out there.

The first 6 weeks seem to be really important to "set" milk supply. I've seen moms of lip/tongue-tied babies who had a decreased supply just because baby wasn't very good at transferring milk.

That really doesn't answer your question about popping off, does it? Can you start a feed with the shield and then take it off at the end when baby is satiated? Then the end of the feed would be right on the breast. The slowly move the time closer to the start of the feed?

Good luck!

#4 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM

I don't have any experience with tongue tie, so I can't speak to that. I'll let the other amazing MDC moms give their advice.

But I can say that even with a good nurser, I remember those hands! Oh my goodness, I remember each and every time I nursed for a few weeks, I would ask DH to come help me hold his hands down until we got going. Swaddling helps for some moms too, although my guy would get more angry in a swaddle.

Good luck!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

Have you tried nursing him with the shield for a few minutes, to take the edge off his hunger, THEN taking it off and working on the latch?  He's probably trying, thinking "nope, this feels weird" and coming off because he's not getting the milk he's looking for.  When babies are hungry they get frustrated much quicker.  I know a fair few mums who had to wean off the shield by "slipping it out" when baby was feeding, rather than beginning without it.

That occasionally works. Usually not, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

hug2.gif Was it an anterior or posterior tie?

If your baby hasn't been transferring well for the first month (because of the tongue-tie) you may want to consider some ways to boost your supply. Pumping or expressing after a feed, eating oatmeal, herbs and domperidone are all ways that have helped moms to increase their supply - and of course nursing often! You didn't mention if you have been doing anything to maintain/boost your supply, so I thought I'd throw that idea out there.

Anterior. And my supply is fine. From the leaking & engorgement, more than fine, actually. :)

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 AM

Hey my little one had a TT too (hers was posterior) she didn't regain her birthweight until she was 7 weeks old! I did want to chime in (maybe things are going awesome now..I see this is an "older" post) but, we are doing "suck/swallow therapy" with a speech pathologist from our hospital's NICU (I got got their names from my IBCLC and contacted them directly and they worked something out to see us outpatient - you can also see them for free, depending if you are in the US and where through your school system's "Birth to Five" program; and at first I thought it was making thigns worse, but, after almost 2 weeks of therapy (post frenetomy - she had some prior with a speech patholigist through Birth to Five) she is really nursing better! I hope your little one is nursing better and has gained more! I'm sorry I do not know much about nipple sheilds, I have not used them before..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page