What is this?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am by no means a "new" nursing mother. I BF my first for almost 19 months and I have been BFing my baby for 9 months, but I have never had this happen before. With my first, I had recurrent plugged ducts. Once I figured out what was going on, it was pretty easy to identify the duct and remove the plug...instant relief. With my current baby, I have had a few plugged ducts, but nothing too bad (I know I should remember my lecithin). Once again, easy to identify the source and unplug it.

Yesterday, I woke up and it felt like I had another plugged duct - part of my breast felt knotty and tight, and the rest felt normal. By pushing on the sore part, I saw where I thought it was plugged. It wasn't a single milk bleb like usual though. When I was trying to remove it, thick, sticky, cloudy milk/liquid was coming out in clumps. I kept trying to express it - by hand, by pump, and by baby, but was not getting much relief. I have never seen "liquid" like this before. If I was holding a clump of it between my fingers and moved my fingers apart, there would be a sticky string connecting the two fingers (if that makes sense). It was almost more like cottage cheese than milk. I worked on it again last night, started taking lecithin and went to bed. This morning when I woke up, it was still very sore, but didn't feel plugged. It hurts like crazy to nurse. My first thought was mastitis, but I have no fever or flu like symptoms. Any idea what is going on or anybody experience this before?

TIA!

#2 of 3 Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 PM

That sounds like what I saw during my recent bout of mastitis.... I expressed it as much as I could, did all the normal stuff for plugged ducts & mastitis and it cleared up, but took much longer than a regular plugged duct. Good luck, I hope it passes soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#3 of 3 Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Sounds like a plugged duct, although different than what you usually experience it sounds like. It could lead to mastitis, but it might not.  When I was in a similar situation, my MW told me to take it easy, drink lots of fluids, and nurse-nurse-nurse. She said only to come in for abx if I felt feverish. I hope you feel better soon!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page