Plugged Duct HELP! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On Friday I noticed my left breast becoming a little tender underneath. I figured out that my bra strap was too tight and caused a plugged duct (I am assuming). On Saturday night I noticed my breast was red and even more tender. I felt like crap. I took some probiotics and vitamin c, and started to feel better the next morning. I can still feel a lump but the redness is gone. How long do these suckers take to go away?! Is this normal? What should I do?

#2 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 AM

Hot shower, gentle massage of the plug, and nurse from the affected side first.

If you spike a fever, take it seriously and get medical assistance. 

#3 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm so sorry, I know how you feel. I see your post is 3 days old, so hopefully your plug is gone by now, but I'll post anyway. Lecithin works great for me, I take 1200mg four times a day until it's gone and then taper down to one a day that I still take preventatively since I get them so easily. Also: nurse and rest!

Hope you are feeling better!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#4 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Oh, I remember the pain!!! I got plugged ducts all the time with DS1. What worked for me (please don't laugh) was a bowl of hot water (as hot as you can stand without feeling like it's burning - kinda like a hot bath would feel), put the bowl on the floor, and dip your breast in while on all fours (table position if you know yoga). Dip, massage, dip, massage.... until the milk starts to flow, then try nursing. Gravity and heat! Also, a LC had told me to position babe with the lower jaw closest to clogged duct. Apparently there is better suction that way. Good luck!

#5 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Ugg I'm sorry.  I only had a plugged duct once, but boy was it tender.  Nursing with DD's chin pointed pointed at the plugged duct is what fixed it for me. It was pretty funny trying to get into a position where that was possible though.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post

Ugg I'm sorry.  I only had a plugged duct once, but boy was it tender.  Nursing with DD's chin pointed pointed at the plugged duct is what fixed it for me. It was pretty funny trying to get into a position where that was possible though.

I always did it with DS's nose pointed to the affected area, but I'd assume it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#7 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the help!  I still feel a little bit of a knot where the duct is. :/  But I'm not in any pain so I think I'm ok.  I wish it would go away!! :(

#8 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 PM

I also heard that you can use a "personal massager" on that spot to help break it up. I haven't had a plugged duct since I heard that advice, so I don't know if it'll work, but it sounds fun! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#9 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM

Can you see anything on your nipple that may indicate which duct is blocked?  I get little skin overgrowths that impede the flow of milk and I can usually spot where it is on my nipple by squeezing a bit.  You can sometimes see a white bubble.  If it's a surface plug it can be relieved by using a sterilized needle to lift the skin a bit.  Once I had a plug and when I was squeezing to see where it was there was a clump of dried milk or something that popped out from the pressure.  Gosh, that felt so good!

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#10 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting about the "massager".  I'll have to try that.

I'll have to see if I see anything on my nipple.  It is hard down by my bra strap.

#11 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 PM

Yes.  When my ducts are plugged it causes a backup and entire regions of my breast are hard. 

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#12 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM

i personally fill a disposable diaper with super hot water since they hold heat for so long, but I'm guessing any good long duration heat will help. then i heat heat heat then nurse nurse nurse (or pump) and i nurse in as many positions as possible to change the suction around. i find sometime a foot bal hold will clear something that a cradle hold won't and vise versa.

also when i am nursing my babe, i gently go smoothing compressions from way above the lump to all the way down.

yes once when i was pumping to clear it and doing compressions i got a string of thick milk out and then a very fast flow, that was the only time it happened suddenly like that. usually i just feed feed feed and it does not seem to work, but then in the morning it feels great.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page