Nursing covers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First off let me say that I don't think covering is necessary. I just happen to have insecurities about it.

Did you have one (like those special ones, i.e. baby au lait) They seem nice since they can't really come off. (DD was tossing blankets off first time around).

But I don't want to purchase it if it is a waste of money ya know what I mean?

#2 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 AM

You can make them pretty easy if you have a basic ability to sew. There are tons of guides online like this one http://www.sew-much-ado.com/2009/02/description-stylish-and-practical.html. I've never used them but have seen them and there isn't anything magical about one brand or another. You also might consider a Baby Bond nursing sash http://babybondnursing.com/. It's a different concept for discretion without the blanket feel. I use it when I'm out in just a nursing tank for a little more cover up. It also could be made pretty easy if you sew.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 AM

I haven't really used a cover-up much with my LO, in most situations I feel comfortable without one. Then I went to a restaurant in the suburbs and felt oh so exposed when I started to nurse (very discretely in a wrap). The old lady hostess was eyeballing me like I'd ripped off all my clothes and was dancing atop the table. Since then I've been packing a large lightweight silk scarf in the diaper bag, It folds to a very tiny size. It's really nice, my LO doesn't mind when I cover her with it because it so lightweight, soft, and breathable. I think I bought it at some random hippie store years ago for $10 or $15.

#4 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM

I have the baby au lait and love it.   The viewing hoop is so nice, it's light weight so it's easy to stash and the  apron-like neck strap makes me feel secure and covered even when he squirms.  I got mine as a gift, so of course I think it's worth the cost. ha ha.  But if you can make it yourself, more power to you! It's such a simple design.

ETA: it also has two little pockets in the corners that are perfect for storing a stash of little cards that state your legal right to BF in public biggrinbounce.gif

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 PM

I second the bebe au lait

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

There are also Udder Covers. You can find them online and they are cheaper. I think they're pretty much the same concept.

I got one for free but have never used it.

#7 of 8 Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM

I like the kind that are like a poncho rather than a blanket with a neck loop.  DD was always yanking a blanket aside, but the poncho-style was harder for her to expose us.  I think The First Years makes one that's not too expensive.  I ended up making my own modeled after the first years poncho, just in a linen blend for the summer. And I don't think I'm going to care quite as much with this pg--for me, its more about avoiding exposure of belly and sides than boobs. 

Good luck with finding something you like!

#8 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Udder Covers has a discount code where you only pay for shipping and handling so only 11.95. The code is Breastfeeding. Just order directly from their website. I don't have one because blankets are working for us, but may get one in the future.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page