Nursing Wear/Clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any reviews or recommendations on good nursing clothes? I've never really felt they were necessary but nursing twins tandomlly in public can be a bit of a circus and I think a few good shirts or dresses might help. I'm looking for quality and stylish (do they exist?).

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#2 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Quality?  Yes...

Stylish?   eyesroll.gif

I have the dress and the sleeveless top from Milk, and they are very comfortable and for casual around-the-house wear they're stylish enough.  I am fairly short (5'2") and shorter up-top and the peek-top blouse rode too low on me.  The clothes seem to be cut for someone in the 5'5" range - pretty standard.  I felt the tops ran true-to-size, a bit large in the waist.

I have also used Old Navy's nursing wear, which is hit-or miss.  It's not horribly stylish...  but it works for around the house.

I do not NIP, so no use there.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#3 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've liked Momzelle.  The clothing is well-designed, not 'stylish' really but low-key and doesn't have that frumpy baggy look of too many layers that happens with most of the other nursingwear I'e tried.  It does run slightly large but I find drying on hot fixes that a bit. hth

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#4 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 PM

I'm using the undercover mama tanks: they're strapless tanks that you hook onto your nursing bra.  I like them because I can wear my pre-pregnancy shirts over them, thus I don't need a completely new wardrobe!  Neat if you don't mind the layered look winky.gif  Order a size larger than you're used to b/c they run a size smaller.

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#5 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladIes. I am glad a got a review of the undercover mama. That might work for me. I'm not so worried about nursing at home but making things work while out. I'd also like a couple of nice summer dresses but I havent found anything yet that I really like the design. Japanese Weekend seem promising but I hate to spend that kind of money without trying them on.

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#6 of 11 Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like a nursing tank under a regular shirt as well (or a belly band + nursing bra, same idea as the Undercover Mama) except it's no good for nursing in a sling/wrap - too hard to get the whole shirt up when it's pressed between you and the baby.  That's where the nursing tops come in handy.  Also for airplane travel, the crossover nursing shirts are super discreet - you can basically just peek your nipple out between the layers.  Much less obvious than pulling your whole shirt up.

Thandiwe likes this.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#7 of 11 Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

You can order awesome nursing wear online! I had good results with this store: http://www.mommygear.com/

#8 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

I like a nursing tank under a regular shirt as well (or a belly band + nursing bra, same idea as the Undercover Mama) except it's no good for nursing in a sling/wrap - too hard to get the whole shirt up when it's pressed between you and the baby.  That's where the nursing tops come in handy.  Also for airplane travel, the crossover nursing shirts are super discreet - you can basically just peek your nipple out between the layers.  Much less obvious than pulling your whole shirt up.

I have several nursing tanks that I'm using like crazy and I'm sick of my belly bands (they move around too much). But I think the Undercover Mama will be nice to try. I do wrap a lot and think that actual nursing shirts will make it a lot easier. Plus I would like a few sundresses for the summer :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

You can order awesome nursing wear online! I had good results with this store: http://www.mommygear.com/

Thanks! This sight is great. I think it will do the trick.

#9 of 11 Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You can inprovise your own nursing top with a cropped shirt under a wide v-neck.  Pull up the tank underneath and push the v-neck to the side.  You'd have more choices for style and it gives you lots of coverage.

#10 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM

I like to purchase cheap undershirt tank tops and layer those under my regular shirts.  Then I just pull up my shirt and pull my breast out the top of the tank top.  I don't worry about stretching it because it's cheap.  Smaller sized men's undershirt tanks work well too!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#11 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 PM

I love my Japanese weekend shirts and dresses, although certain styles do better than others for my body type.  I am 5' and thus find that double v-necks do  better than the scooped neck that seems so popular.  Anyways, I've picked up a few dresses that are current or just last season off of Ebay at about 1/2 price.  Maybe you could try that?

Nicole, dissertating mama to M (Nov 2007) and expecting another (Mar 2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page