Worried - EBF 3 week old given cow's milk - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding > Worried - EBF 3 week old given cow's milk
OurGift's Avatar OurGift 05:03 AM 03-25-2012

I am worried. I took a trip to the ER and had to leave my EBF 3wo with his father. They would not allow him in the ambulance ride with me. I tried to call his father immediately when I got there, but he kind of panicked since he was at home with 3 kids and buried his cellphone in the car (we have no land line). He fed my baby "boiled cows milk in a sippy cup." I am trying to google any potential problems about this, but I thought i'd ask here at the same time. I keep getting results talking about cow's milk based formula, but that's not what I need. Somebody with some knowledge please help if you can. My poor LO... :(

MichelleZB's Avatar MichelleZB 08:54 AM 03-25-2012

He'll be fine! Just get back to nursing him as soon as possible. He's a little young to fully digest cow's milk, so you might get a few wonky poops and then I bet it'll get right back on track.

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 09:14 AM 03-25-2012

Yeah, I am thinking a sick tummy maybe.... Possibly some gut issues but that would be a concern with *anything* given orally, except breastmilk, before six months. Overall I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it. The bigger issue would be with using it on a regular basis as a breastmilk substitute - it doesn't have the correct balance of nutrients to be used that way.

I hope you are feeling better. Can you get a pump and put away some extra breastmilk in the freezer in case you need to be gone again? Or if that is not possible, make sure the father knows that he needs to use formula if it is an emergency and you can not feed the baby for several hours.

OurGift's Avatar OurGift 03:08 PM 03-25-2012

Thank you so much mamas. He hasn't shown any issues. When I first saw him, he wasn't really drinking my milk. After awhile he is back to his little piggy self. I still watched him breath/sleep until 7am.

I forgot to mention that I was only gone for 1.5 hours. He was fed and asleep when I left. Dad said as soon as I left he started boiling the milk. :( Kinda silly because I know I told him about EBF and virgin gut, blah blah with my last LO. He was EBF for 9mos and still nurses at today at 33mos.

I am going to freeze some milk. What's the safest container to freeze it in and how long can it be stored in the freezer?

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 09:50 AM 03-26-2012

You should be able to get some freezer bags designed for storage at Target. They generally have a good selection of breastfeeding stuff like pumps and such.

Storage...

http://motherloveblog.com/2012/03/20/how-long-can-you-store-breastmilk-2/

Up