Tandem Nursing Tips? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, all!

I just had my second baby on March 22nd. My first turned 9 months the day after that jaw.gif

DS was a little early, and I apparently got pregnant RIGHT away. My supply seemed to dip just a little while I was pregnant, but since I had a HUGE oversupply problem, it never seemed to affect DD. We're baby-led weaning, and she's still about 85/90 percent breastfed. Now that DS is here, it's like nursing twins! DS nurses like a champ and is gaining weight just as he should. I was just wondering if any of you mamas have had tandem nurslings close in age, and how did you handle it? DD has been refusing solids and just wants to nurse...is she feeling jealous? 

What can I do to make sure DS and DD are getting what they need (emotionally as well as nutritionally)? TIA!

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#2 of 3 Old 04-14-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have tandem nursed by not babies that are super close in age.  It's very normal for 9 month olds to not be that interested in solids.  When she does eat make sure it's nutrient dense foods like homemade chicken stock, avacados, egg yolks etc.  To make sure you have what it takes to nurture them emotionally and physically I'd suggest eating well and taking care of yourself so you have enough to give.  It really is so important to nap when they do and take advantage of help from a partner, friend, mother or whomever.  I found myself sometimes feeling touched out and impatient with my older nursling when I was doing to much and not taking care of me.  Hope this helps.  I really like these recommendations for nutrition and nursing. http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/diet-for-pregnant-and-nursing-mothers

Leah

#3 of 3 Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

The babies I tandem nursed weren't quite that close in age but I remember feeling like I was nursing someone all the time. A nine month old still needs to nurse a lot so I agree with mamagranola28 that as long as the solids you offer are nutritionally dense your dd will be okay. Even though you didn't have supply problems during your pregnancy your milk now is bound to be much richer than it has been and she is probably nursing so much because of the change in your milk. I remember my older dd nursing more once my newborn milk came in - her cheeks got fuller and rosier, she went through a growth spurt - after a while she went back to her old nursing schedule and ate more solids but it was like she was feasting on milk for the first while after the new baby came!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page