Are there any good organic formulas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have found myself becoming a foster parent to my 2 month old niece. I bought some similac organic just because I had to have something to feed her but looking into formulas I am horrified. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations? 

Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 AM

If you can, you should find out what she is getting now, and start with that. Then, you can slowly switch her to something you feel more comfortable with - but some babies will react poorly to having their formula changed suddenly because they have such tiny sensitive digestive systems. Not all react poorly, but some do, and its worth it to try and avoid it!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying . she was being breastfed before she came to me.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxsie View Post
 I was wondering if infant milk and 1 year old milk would be very different.

Infant milk and 1 year old milk are much much closer to each other than any type of formula or other milk is to either of them.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Right. But I do just need to give her something now and I'm trying to figure out the best option......

Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Right. But I do just need to give her something now and I'm trying to figure out the best option......

I completely understand! Sorry I don't have any info on formula options - I answered the only question I knew the answer to. You may get some more info in the Life with a Babe or Nutrition forums too.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 PM

Earth's Best has powder or ready made, and Nature One Baby's Only (though can make baby constipated).  I think Toys r us may sell Earth's Best and you can get both on Amazon, though even these formulas have their own issues IMO.  I posted a similar question a few weeks back due to low supply.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for replying . she was being breastfed before she came to me.

Oh! I see, sorry, my reply was completely not helpful!! I hope you found something, and that it works out OK!

You might want to start out with a ready made formula, I've heard those are a little easier to digest at first, and then if you need to you can switch her to a powder formula. Good luck!

(honestly, you might want to post on BabyCenter - the women on that board have a lot more information on formula that most of us on MDC, or you could post in LWAB, or Adoptive and Foster Parenting since the women there are more likely to have used formula, and probably don't frequent the breastfeeding forum all that much)

Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

I completely understand! Sorry I don't have any info on formula options - I answered the only question I knew the answer to. You may get some more info in the Life with a Babe or Nutrition forums too.

Sorry I just realized how that sounded! I was replying from my phone and I didn't notice. Thank you for replying and answering :) 

Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Oh! I see, sorry, my reply was completely not helpful!! I hope you found something, and that it works out OK!

You might want to start out with a ready made formula, I've heard those are a little easier to digest at first, and then if you need to you can switch her to a powder formula. Good luck!

(honestly, you might want to post on BabyCenter - the women on that board have a lot more information on formula that most of us on MDC, or you could post in LWAB, or Adoptive and Foster Parenting since the women there are more likely to have used formula, and probably don't frequent the breastfeeding forum all that much)

No no it is helpful! Good to know so I don't go switching formulas like crazy on her. I will check out the other forums too. Thanks!!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Giving a foster child your breastmilk would be grounds for removal from your home. You cannot do it.

Baby's Own has the best reputation and the best ingredient list. They comply with the WHO breastmilk marketing code which is why it is sold as "toddler formula" but it is sutiable for infants. Some  people have talked about issues with constipation.

Earth's Best has really declined in quality and uses much junkier ingredients. http://www.cornucopia.org/soysurvey/soy_profiles/FarmID_37.html

FYI- I have no personal experience with formula, this is just based on reading mothering.com over the years.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM

I was unexpectedly a foster mom to a 4 week old several years back.  Being an avid breastfeeding supporter, it was very hard for me to buy the formula.  But I knew the laws and what had to be done.  So I bought the formula she *had* been using, but soon discovered that was causing major digestive upset.  We switched her to Gentlease and it made it better.  We never did organic formula because financially we just weren't in a position to do that; we needed the help buying the insanely expensive formula during a time when they weren't even paying us room/board/clothing/supplies (we weren't foster parents, just friends of the parents - we eventually became licensed for her but they didn't pay us for many months in the beginning, when we had to buy her carseat, extra bedding, clothes, etc).  So we went with what WIC would pay.  It was tough giving formula, but I really had no choice.

I realize this is several weeks old, but can mom keep pumping?  You said she's been being bf already.  Can mom pump and get you the milk on a weekly basis? 

Breastfeeding a fosterling - not an adoptive baby - makes a whole host of issues including emotional confusion. It took some time for me to understand that, but the truth is that the goal of foster care is reunification in the majority of cases. When you biologically step in as mom with those endorphins and that oxytocin, it changes the bond.  I don't think I'm expressing this correctly, but your goal is to love and nurture and then help her transition back to mom.  It really does change things when you nurse baby.  Know that what you're doing, your hands are tied by the law and that she is more than what she's eating....the love, support, and safety you're giving her will help her thrive.  Our fosterling bottle-nursed and stayed on a breastfeeding schedule, every 2-3 hours day and night and was very emotionally attached and healthy.  We did everything we would but provide her our milk and it still was hugely beneficial!

How have things been in getting settled?

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Why is this? I'm pretty uninformed on this topic, but just wondering. I assume that if you're a certified milk donor you're still unable to give a foster baby your breast milk. What about purchased or donated breast milk? It just seems unfair to me that just because a baby is a foster child they should miss out on breast milk if it's available, you know? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Giving a foster child your breastmilk would be grounds for removal from your home. You cannot do it.

Baby's Own has the best reputation and the best ingredient list. They comply with the WHO breastmilk marketing code which is why it is sold as "toddler formula" but it is sutiable for infants. Some  people have talked about issues with constipation.

Earth's Best has really declined in quality and uses much junkier ingredients. http://www.cornucopia.org/soysurvey/soy_profiles/FarmID_37.html

FYI- I have no personal experience with formula, this is just based on reading mothering.com over the years.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

Why is this? I'm pretty uninformed on this topic, but just wondering. I assume that if you're a certified milk donor you're still unable to give a foster baby your breast milk. What about purchased or donated breast milk? It just seems unfair to me that just because a baby is a foster child they should miss out on breast milk if it's available, you know? 

The law in my state (MI) was that foster children are to be given nothing but pasteurized dairy products.  It is a part of the contract you agree to when you become licensed.  To break that, you risk license revocation and immediate removal of the child as well as criminal punishment.  Didn't write the law, just what it says.  Donor milk or any other form of breastmilk would be unpasteurized and considered a health risk by any state worker.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 PM

Hmm. Okaaaayyy. I guess I understand. It just makes me sad, I guess.

Edit: That's not supposed to sound snarky at all! Thanks for the info, I'd been wondering about that for a while.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Hmm. Okaaaayyy. I guess I understand. It just makes me sad, I guess.

Edit: That's not supposed to sound snarky at all! Thanks for the info, I'd been wondering about that for a while.

I agree.  I was nursing my 8 month old at the time, and our fosterling was the daughter of a friend so I've loved her long before birth.  I would have had no issues nursing her too at the time especially because she had awful colic, but I knew I just couldn't by law and that providing her with a good home was more important in the long run for her.  If that law was broken and she was removed and our license revoked, we wouldn't have had the chance to be a vital part of her life.   

Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Breastmilk is a biological fluid that contains active cultures. It can also pass disease.  Breast milk banks pasturize milk before it is distributed so that it is safe for any baby. There is also the method of feeding. I doubt very many people would support a foster mother directly breastfeeding a child that was under her care.

I donated milk to a breast milk bank and also to a foster mom who made it very clear she would lose the child if it her plans were discovered. She was pooling milk from like ten different people, which frankly, IMHO *is* a health risk.

Someone *might* be able to get a scrip for pasturized bm through a bank for an immnocomprimised child but I can't see any other way.

Quote:

Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose this wasn't the proper forum to ask in anyway but thanks for the responses. I feel like I didn't phrase things well because I was a little frantic and sleep deprived but I never intended to nurse my niece myself and would have only given her pumped breast milk if it was what her mom (my sister) wanted. (If my children weren't in my care I would want them to have breast milk vs. formula especially if it were my relative and I knew they were healthy and clean) 

Her mom was in jail for a few days and because her supply had never been fully established she wasn't able to pump after. The baby was removed for substance abuse (alcohol) among other reasons though anyway so I'm not sure if that would have been for the best either. 

I never ended up discussing this with my sister because we are at serious odds right now so I am feeding the baby Earth's Best. It's expensive but the state started giving us $ for her so I use that. (WIC wouldn't cover it.) So far so good with this brand (the similac was horrible on her tummy:( ) but the poops are horrendous. 

I am glad she at least was breast fed for the first month of her life and got some benefits. I feel sad giving her formula but I give her lots of cuddles, skin to skin and eye contact while she eats.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:

I suppose this wasn't the proper forum to ask in anyway but thanks for the responses. I feel like I didn't phrase things well because I was a little frantic and sleep deprived but I never intended to nurse my niece myself and would have only given her pumped breast milk if it was what her mom (my sister) wanted. (If my children weren't in my care I would want them to have breast milk vs. formula especially if it were my relative and I knew they were healthy and clean) 

Her mom was in jail for a few days and because her supply had never been fully established she wasn't able to pump after. The baby was removed for substance abuse (alcohol) among other reasons though anyway so I'm not sure if that would have been for the best either. 

I never ended up discussing this with my sister because we are at serious odds right now so I am feeding the baby Earth's Best. It's expensive but the state started giving us $ for her so I use that. (WIC wouldn't cover it.) So far so good with this brand (the similac was horrible on her tummy:( ) but the poops are horrendous. 

I am glad she at least was breast fed for the first month of her life and got some benefits. I feel sad giving her formula but I give her lots of cuddles, skin to skin and eye contact while she eats.

Sounds like you are doing great! One of my kids was FF from early on...we still had a great experience "bottle nursing" as you describe. He is 3 years old and thriving both physically and mentally with a healthy attachment :-)

User Tag List