newborn with dry mouth (x-posted in Life With a Babe) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an almost 2 week old who has a dry mouth and somewhat chapped lips. Breastfeeding seems to be going well at this point, decent latch, audible swallowing sounds, plenty of wet and dirty diapers, and she appears to be gaining weight. She did have jaundice which made her sleepy and she wasn't nursing enough in the beginning but the jaundice looks to be clearing up just fine and she's having more periods of wakefulness and longer periods of wakefulness. I have been on an elimination diet because she was having reflux. Most of it was "silent reflux" ... she has vomited about 3 times, but the elimination diet seems to be helping and it's been 2 days or so since the last time she vomited. I haven't taken her to see a hcp yet, couldn't get a hold of the one that was recommended to me but will be scheduling an appt for her today to see a pediatrician. I'm just worried about getting bad advice from the ped about bfing, but I also don't know what to do about dd's dry mouth and lips. My SO thinks it's because we live in NM and it's very hot and dry here. Any advice appreciated. TIA.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 AM

My ds had the same thing and we do not live in a hot, dry climate although the heat being on 24/7 does dry us out. The docs weren't concerned since he had plenty of wet diapers and he wasn't bleeding or anything that bad. In the case of my ds (now 11 weeks) he just seemed to outgrow it maybe by 6 weeks or so. Coincidentally around when his nursing blister disappeared? I did start using coconut oil for my nipples around that time too. I tried to not have a lot on near his feeding just in case of an allergy, but that might have helped.

I really wanted to try something to help because it didn't look pleasant, but I was worried I might just make it worse if I started messing with him. Luckily it resolved itself.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I have an appt for dd on Tuesday so we will see what the pediatrician thinks. Hopefully it will resolve on it's own like it did with your ds. 

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

User Tag List