Where is my 2nd ppaf? Is BF my 14-month-old keeping it away? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this in the Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy subforum but got no response so thought I'd try here!

It's now cycle day 34 or 35. My 1st ppaf arrived a month ago (finally!). For the last 4 days or so, I've had major PMS type symptoms. I was so certain AF was coming I put a pad on- felt lower back cramping, cramping/pinching "down there", cravings, etc...and nothing! I'm def NOT PG as dh and I haven't dtd in the last month. What gives? Just worried because I want my cycle to get back to normal so I can ttc at the end of the year.

DS3 is still nursing once in the evening before bed, and then 4-5x during the night (we cosleep). I am ready to phase out nursing so I can get my body back to normal but DS is very demanding lol.

The crampy/PMS feelings lasted briefly (off and on for those few days), and are now...gone. What gives?

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#2 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

No one? :(

#3 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 PM

If you're still nursing, your cycles could be longer.  When I got my period back, my cycles were running about every 7 weeks.  I've also heard that some women will get a period and then not another for months and months.  I can't answer as to what's going on with the cramping, but that might be an explaination for where your period is.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#4 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM

I got my first PPAF at 15 months, 2nd a few months later, then they started to get more regular when I started slowly weaning dd at 18 months. No explaination for the cramps, etc.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#5 of 13 Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, that makes me feel better! The cramping only lasted a couple of days and was off and on. Those couple of days are when I would normally have a period (in the past my cycles have always been 30-33 days), so I'm guessing that's why I had it (cramping)??

#6 of 13 Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM

I'm mostly echoing the others.  I got my 1st ppaf around 15 months and the first few were pretty far apart.  Then after they got more regular my cycles were longer than they had been pre pregnancy (and I had longer than average cycles to begin with)  They averaged 36 days and my DD was nursing at least at wake up and and bedtime.  Then I got pregnant and, of course had no cycle and weaned DD when my supply tanked and nursing became really painful.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#7 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post

I'm mostly echoing the others.  I got my 1st ppaf around 15 months and the first few were pretty far apart. 

Thanks for sharing!! Do you remember how far apart they were?

#8 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 01:44 PM

My first ppaf was at about 19 months pp. The 2nd one was 5 months later. That cycle was 40 days long, then they stabililzed between 31 and 36 days, until I got pregnant 4 cycles later.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#9 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Yeah, I had this with my oldest where I had one and then nothing for a few months before they started coming regularly again. 

#10 of 13 Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

Thanks for sharing!! Do you remember how far apart they were?

Umm, I'm thinking 50-60 days.  I can't remember specifically.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#11 of 13 Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM

I had cramping and thought I'd have a period for several months - my first cycle is just now underway, daughter is just now 7 months and still nursing, a few solids thrown in her open mouth but nothing else.  I guess the cramping was just "practice".  I'm still counting to see if I'll start cycling normally or it will be touch-and-go for a while yet.

But I had the cramping at least twice, and then nothing...

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#12 of 13 Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 AM

Not sure about the cramping, but it all sounds like normal hormonal stuff to me. Irregular periods postpartum--totally normal.

I got my first period after DS at 9 months, my second one at 11 months, and at 13 months I became unexpectedly pregnant again! It was really hard to tell what was going on with my cycles at that time, but obviously I was ovulating. (So if you are not TTC NOW, be very very careful.)

After DD, I got my period back at only 5 months, also while exclusively breastfeeding. I just had my second period at 8.5 months. Who knows what'll happen next! But we don't plan to conceive again this time. wink1.gif
#13 of 13 Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!!! AF just started about 10 minutes ago (sorry TMI!)!!! joy.gif So I think this last cycle was about 40 days long? Thank you so much to everyone who responded and helped calm me down!! I guess I should expect anything and everything the next few months right? DS3 is still nursing ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page