Herb may decrease milk supply.....but is HOMEOPATHIC version okay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to take the following Boiron homeopathics

Bryonia Alba

Symphytum Officinale

I think with the actual herb itself you are not supposed to use during breastfeeding.  I found info even suggesting that one of them taken in herb form would help you wean a child by drying up your milk.  I obviously don't want that to happen.

So, is it okay to take the homeopathic version.  Everyone keeps saying it's okay to take homeopathics during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but do any homeopathics dry up your milk?

TIA!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#2 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would steer clear if it has an herb in it that can dry up milk. You might be lucky and it might not affect you in the (presumably) smaller dose or maybe at all (like anything, different things affect individuals differently) or you might be very sensitive to it and it would affect your milk supply. If you think the risk is worth it, you could try it for a short period and see if your milk supply decreases, but I personally would not if it were me.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#3 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM

Surely the premise of homeopathy is that the smaller dose gives GREATER effects?  So the homeopathic version should, if you believe in it's mechanism (i mean, i don't, but if you do then you do) dry up milk even more, shouldn't it?

#4 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Homeopathics are so diluted that there may be a molecule of the active ingredient in the entire preparation, if that. Imagine taking a drop of food coloring and putting it in a gallon of water, taking out a drop from this gallon and putting it in a fresh gallon, and repeating multiple times. Would the resulting water still be colored?

#5 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

The herb is full strength as it were, but a homeopathic remedy is a energy message to your system and therefore should not dry up your milk. What are you taking it for?

#6 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The reason why I am considering taking these:

Three months ago I gave birth to my third son and it went rather fast, as my births tend to do.  By the time I knew it was the real deal it was 40 min until he was born.  His entire body came out all at once.  I think that something tore or was injured because of this and now I have pain near my pubic bone.  After doing some searches here I read that one mama had a similar problem and it was because her pubic symphisis tore.  She said it improved by taking homeopathics.  I was hoping these might help speed healing if I have the same problem.  I don't have good health insurance and it's going to cost a lot for me to go in and get this fixed somewhere so I thought I might give this a shot first if it's just something that can heal on it's own rather than needing physical therapy or something.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#7 of 7 Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Homeopathics will not dry up your milk because there is likely no active ingredient in the medicine at all. Some people feel like the "energy" from the original ingredient will have an effect on your ailment, and if you feel that way, then go ahead and take it for your pubic pain! But it won't have any effect on lactation and is therefore safe for breastfeeding moms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page