14.5 month old is BFing ALL NIGHT like he's a newborn!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And I'm sorry to say, I'm over it! I loved BFing him up until now, but he has gotten so demanding. We cosleep, and he seems to think I'm his all night buffet. If I try not to let him BF he starts doing this high pitched shriek, it's unbearable. I am getting NO SLEEP. I didn't mind when it was a few times a night but last night it was literally every 40 minute! He didn't even nurse that much as a young baby. I can't take it anymore. I love him so much but omg! lol Also, I put him to bed around 7/8 but usually around 10 or 11 on the dot he wakes up and start crying for me and won't go to bed without me (maybe this part I should post in the cosleeping forum). I'm so over it all! Dh and I never get time together at all b/c of this. Help???

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#2 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm the only one? lol

#3 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 PM

By chance is he teething? Teething molars usually takes a long time, and it always caused my LO to night nurse a lot. When my LO wakes up before I'm ready to go to bed, I just nurse him back to sleep and then sneak away.

#4 of 12 Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

By chance is he teething? Teething molars usually takes a long time, and it always caused my LO to night nurse a lot. When my LO wakes up before I'm ready to go to bed, I just nurse him back to sleep and then sneak away.

You know what??? He IS teething!!!!! Does this mean it'll get better? lol

#5 of 12 Old 04-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

You know what??? He IS teething!!!!! Does this mean it'll get better? lol

Until the next set of teeth start to come in winky.gif

#6 of 12 Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Teething was my first thought too.  

I know it's so hard to remember, but with little ones, so many things are just a passing phase.  Even their "littleness" is just a phase in the grand scheme of things.  

For your sanity, do you think he would like sucking on a pacifier?  My boy finds his pacifier very comforting during teething.  He also wakes more at night, and usually wants milk more than usual.  (we've been working on some 2 year molars these days) 

And about the cosleeping.  If you feel like it's not working for your family right now, I think looking into transitioning to another arrangement is totally appropriate.  

...and good job you for breastfeeding!

#7 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 PM

OP, how are things? It looks like my little guy either is getting a cold or his 2 year molars... we're all night nursing again. Ugg. But at the same time I'm so happy that I can comfort him with mama-milk!

#8 of 12 Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Ugh, I am here too! My DS is also 14.5 mo, and just started back up with allllllll night nursing these past couple days, and I can tell he is teething because he always has an AWFUL pinchy latch and gives me scabs on my nipples when he is teething. :(  Which makes nursing all night that much more fun. Hope it gets better soon!! Mine also shrieks if I try to get him to go back to sleep without nursing, OR if I try to give him the paci!

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

#9 of 12 Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post

Teething was my first thought too.  

I know it's so hard to remember, but with little ones, so many things are just a passing phase.  Even their "littleness" is just a phase in the grand scheme of things.  

For your sanity, do you think he would like sucking on a pacifier?  My boy finds his pacifier very comforting during teething.  He also wakes more at night, and usually wants milk more than usual.  (we've been working on some 2 year molars these days) 

And about the cosleeping.  If you feel like it's not working for your family right now, I think looking into transitioning to another arrangement is totally appropriate.  

...and good job you for breastfeeding!

Thanks GuavaGirl!! I've never tried a paci with him, I didn't know if he was too "old" to introduce one but the thought did cross my mind! And yeah he is def teething AND I found out almost 2 weeks ago he had a double ear infection so just got off antibiotics.

I don't know what to do about cosleeping since I have nowhere to put him right now (long story but my middle son has autism and sleep issues and can't a share a room with either brother). I've thought about putting him in with his oldest brother who is 5, but I don't want to subject ODS to crying and shrieking in the middle of the night. And besides, I hate CIO. :(

#10 of 12 Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUvet View Post

Ugh, I am here too! My DS is also 14.5 mo, and just started back up with allllllll night nursing these past couple days, and I can tell he is teething because he always has an AWFUL pinchy latch and gives me scabs on my nipples when he is teething. :(  Which makes nursing all night that much more fun. Hope it gets better soon!! Mine also shrieks if I try to get him to go back to sleep without nursing, OR if I try to give him the paci!

Ugh sorry!!!! I am getting the "pinchy" latch too!! Things are still exactly the same grrr

#11 of 12 Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 AM

My 14 month old is all about BF again...and I thought he would wean early way back when.  His intake is mostly milk and he has BF poops again.  He's teething, but my DH thinks it might be more than...developmental leap?  Although I'm not loving the newborn-esque sleepless nights again, I am loving him being so snuggle-y and asking for "boo-ie".  smile.gif

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#12 of 12 Old 05-31-2012, 06:10 AM

About the cosleeping transition, maybe a crib in your own bedroom for a while might help get him used to it easier. You could nurse him to sleep then transfer to the crib. It would mean no CIO but a little distance and maybe he would go for longer stretches in his own space. If he wakes, nurse him down again and transfer. My DD has slept in her crib from day one (I EPed for a few weeks so cosleeping wouldn't have helped). She is 14 months now and wakes 2 to 3 times a night. I nurse her down and transfer then go back to bed. It still means losing some sleep but it sounds like 3 to 4 hour stretches would be an improvement. You could start by sidecarring the crib to the bed and gradually move it further. Some babies sleep better on their own mattress.
Btw mine is teething too. One thing she loves is ice water in her sippy. I actually offer her some before nursing and it soothes her, making for a shorter, more relaxed nursing to sleep session. Good luck to you and all the other mamas with 14ish month olds. It's a fun but tiring age.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page