FCLO and increased milk supply - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone experienced increased milk supply from taking fermented cod liver oil?  I've had an almost constant oversupply, and it had seemed to *finally* be balancing out (DS is now over 9 months).  I previously suspected the FCLO could be connected to my supply.  Recently, I stopped taking the FCLO for a while, and just started taking it sporadically again.  And boom-- engorged.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  I want all the great benefits of the FCLO, but tired of crazy amounts of milk.

FWIW, carrots also seem to do the same thing to me.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 PM

I've never tried FCLO, but goodness I can relate to how annoying oversupply can be. My DD is 4 months now, and last month it seemed like my supply was starting to balance out. Now, we're back to regular breastmilk facials for LO. If I collect milk as it spurts out of the opposite breast during a feed, I can get up to 3 or 4 oz just by holding a bottle up to my boob. Lets just say NIP can be messy, and toddler prefolds cover my side of the bed at night. It fluctuates some, but it seems for me to primarily be connected with how often she feeds. This week she's been sick so she's wanted to nurse quite frequently, so up goes the supply. I only offer one breast per feeding, and have done a fairly relaxed version of block feeding, offering the same breast for a few feedings in a row, before switching, and my oversupply has gotten a tiny bit better, but I just live with it.

Hopefully someone else can be more helpful

Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM

It's not really a galactogogue per se, but I wonder if the fermented is actually much like brewed beer or brewer's yeast. Or, I wonder if your body has been deficient in vitamins and nutrients and your body is hoarding those nutrients instead of outputting into the milk?  Then when it has a sufficient supply it gives off more supply? Just guessing here.  thumb.gif  I know my milk was deficient after several kids nursing for nearly 7 years in a row before my milk completely dried up in this pregnancy.  By that point it was negatively impacting my toddler, sadly (26 months old now, about 22 months old at the time), and we've had to boost his body to get him up to speed.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

@rtjunker-- I totally feel you!

@Thandiwe-- hmm..... all good thoughts.  I just found out that I am very deficient in several vitamins, and I'm working on correcting that.  An ND I just saw wondered if the extra A in the CLO vs. regular fish oil could be at play.  All things I need to investigate.  I need to go over to the La Leche League website and search the forums there, too.

Thanks ladies!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm happy I came upon this and thrilled that its a recent thread, I actually was looking for ways to increase my supply because it has been so sporatic lately.  One day I will have too much, the next day or 3 will be good, then it will be too low for a few days, etc.  I have been taking FCLO off and on since DS was about 1 month old, and the FCLO does not seem to have an effect on my supply, I will remember to take it for several days in a row and will still be low, or have just the right amount.  I rarely have too much, but when I do it does not coincide with the FCLO.    FCLO is great stuff though, I''m glad to meet someone else who's taking it too!  Its so good for your precious baby :)

Now if I could just figure out how to even out my supply.  I am starting by REALLY trying to remember to take my FCLO on a regular daily basis.  I just got some fermented skate liver oil as well and have been taking small amounts of that too.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM

This is really interesting and definitely worth a try! I've been using Breastea from http://www.breastea.com and it's for moms that need to increase milk supply. It has worked really well for me and I've seen an increase definitely since I've started. I'm also taking my prenatal vitamin.

User Tag List