i have had it with the biting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nak(and cringing). my almost 8-month old won't stop biting while nursing. this is my third breastfed baby but the other two didn't bite for so long and none of what i know to do is working. nothing is working that worked with my other two. i am so upset and cry off and on. she won't take a bottle, either, enough for it to be helpful, plus my pump hardly works and definately not enough to keep up with her. i can get maybe 2 oz a day LOL how will i get her to sleep? I am just so upset and about to lose my mind. this morning was really bad, I can't even put her on my left side anymore right now and i guess my right side is bad too now. i put her down and gave her some tablets and ice and will try again when i am more composed.

i know all the tricks to use, i guess i just need some hugs and tissues for my tears because this is BAD. i have no one to talk to bc most people think i should just stop breastfeeding.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Hugs!! Is she teething? Can you give some Tylenol and see if it helps?

Also, when she bites no more nursing - say OW and put her in the floor. Wait 5-10 minutes before nursing again. She'll cry, but after doing that twice she'll get it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

she has been teething for months lol my babies were all early teethers and all had teeth before 3 months. her 7th tooth is coming in...it is a front one on top. this is when my others bit, too. is this old enough for her to understand if i put her down? i worry she is too young to understand why i make her stop nursing. i certainly am saying "ow!" each time lol we both were crying this morning! she isn't too fussy and the tablets and ice seems to do the job.

thanks for replying; i was feeling pretty lonely.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 AM

My daughter just turned 7 months and she's biting too. She got her two first teeth at once about a week ago and I think she's got another one coming in on the top. I find myself cringing when she latches on, and tensing up in expectation that she's going to bite. I don't know how to address it because she's not biting and then I have something to react to. It's more that she's uncomfortable, flailing around, and not being careful. It generally happens when she's tired and fighting sleep. So, I feel like when I react and stop nursing for a minute or two, it just contributes to the flailing and the avoiding falling asleep. 

I feel your pain! 

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Ah, the biting. 

It can be hard to love such a little monster so much.  I swear, mine bit for fun.  She wasn't teething, nothing... she just liked biting me.

I really did not want to do the whole "withhold affection as punishment" route, but when she got two little bottom teeth and was still biting me, hard, every single time she nursed, I started doing the method where you pull her face into your breast until she lets go, then without ceremony you place her on the floor, tell her in your veryseriousnotkidding voice "No biting!" and stone-faced go on about your day.

She howled and howled the first and second time, and then she didn't bite anymore.

Now, if I can just solve the pinching... I've graduated from bloody nipples to bloody welts.  I put mittens on her, but I cannot leave her in mittens all day - and she looooooooathes those mittens.

We can do it!

Hang in there Mama!

hug2.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM

I've been there with the biting. DD went through it around 6 months and tried very briefly again at 10 months. What worked was stopping BFing, and calmly putting her down. I tried to control my reaction because I read that screaming or yelping can scare babies, resulting in a nursing strike. She cried and after about 10 to 20 seconds (yes, seconds) I would resume. If she bit again, we would stop again. The worst of it was about two days and by about seven days she completely stopped. The ten month episode was one afternoon. They can make the connection: if I bite, the milk stops. If I don't bite, mommy lets me nurse. I highly recommend trying this technique.

As for the flailing, I had to ride it out for a little while. DD would do it more energetically the closer she was to sleeping so I couldn't take her off. I then tried giving her a small, soft toy to keep those hands busy. She would still flail but not as much and I'll take a plush kitty to the face over a slap any day lol. If the flailing persists, I'd examine if baby was sleeping enough and maybe try for more naptime or earlier bedtime. Flailing for us was always worst when DD skipped a nap or didn't get good sleep.

Hope that helps
Old 06-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Oh, the flailing is definitely connected to not getting enough sleep. Since about 5 months she's fought an afternoon nap tooth and nail...if she goes to sleep she might miss something :-/ She will flail to keep herself awake, you can see her start to fight it as she gets sleepy at the breast.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

well apparantly my daughter could tell i couldn't take it anymore and stopped biting after i last posted in this thread lol. now her teeth scrape when she first latches on but that is worlds better than the biting, thanks :) now if the sleeping would go better, life would be great.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:16 PM

For naps, DD became picky about light. We had to get blackout drapes for the nursery and setup a naptime routine: story, nursing and lullaby. Maybe something similar might be useful to you

User Tag List