back to work plan, need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 10 months old and I will be going back to work full time in 2 months.

I have never had any success with pumping. I also suspect that my supply is dipping....he only wets 3-4 diapers a day and they are not very wet. He poops normally. He is getting 3 solid meals a day and sometimes snacks. He loves his solids!

I nurse him 3-4 times during the day and 3 -4 times at night. He wakes up every 3 hours or so. He seems to do his best nursing at bedtime and night.

I have been giving him a sippy of formula after dinner for a few weeks now to get him used to it. Other than that, I'm not sure what I should be doing to prepare him for daycare, when he won't be getting any breastmilk during the day. SHould I be doing less feedings during the day? More formula? He will not take a bottle at all but will drink from a sippy. Do I just wait until he is closer to a year and introduce cow's milk or goat's milk? Also, I currently nurse him down for all his naps. I don't know how he's going to nap at daycare.

Any advice would be appreciated

#2 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I'm watching this thread! I have to go back to work when my son is 10 months, too. He is currently 5 months, and I don't pump, he doesn't take a bottle, and I nurse him down for naps and bed. ACK. I don't really want to stop doing these things to "train" him out of it. Dilemma.

#3 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM

I feel your anxiety! I was there with you 12 months ago. I went back to work at 12 months too.

My DS was with a sitter from 12 - 18 months, then at day care. I respond well to the pump, so I pumped 3 x a day at work at first, and left sippy cups of milk for me DS. The sitter used to walk him int he stroller to nap, and the day care workers rocked him to sleep. Mama milk, even in a cup, before a nap seemed to help.

He drinks no dairy or soy (allergies) so when I slowly stopped pumping, and on Mondays when I had no milk pumped (I pumped and gave it the next day) he just got water. This was fine with him - he caught up after work and during the night. At 2 years old he still needs to nurse before we drive home from day care!

Are you able to hand express at all? If you aren't pumping I'd be a bit worried about engorgement at work. Hand expression will help to avoid this - even expressing just a bit of milk will probably help.

Good luck!

#4 of 6 Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Patio, that does make me feel better. I guess there is no point in cutting down on the nursing too soon. The naps thing worries me....he's never gone down for a nap without a boob in his mouth lol.

#5 of 6 Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygrrrl View Post

Thanks Patio, that does make me feel better. I guess there is no point in cutting down on the nursing too soon. The naps thing worries me....he's never gone down for a nap without a boob in his mouth lol.

Yeah, no need to cut down at all - my DS just "rearranged" his nursing sessions so they happened when we were together!

#6 of 6 Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Pumping in addition to nursing is quite different from pumping as a replacement for nursing. If you've only tried the former, you might have better luck pumping if you skip a nursing session. Do you have/can you borrow a pump? Can you take a day where you are away from your babe for 8 hours, and pump a couple of times, just to test it out? That way, you will have a much better idea of what your pumping output over a work day will look like.

Other than that, I'd just wait until you actually start working/daycare, and then see what shakes out. You don't know how he will respond until he's actually in that situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page