Naturopath Says Losing 40 Pounds in 2 Months Would Be Fine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My breastfeeding baby is 15 months old and still nurses a lot.  I saw a naturopath today to help me get back on healthy eating and deal with seasonal allergies, etc.  Anyhow, he was saying that I could lose 40 pounds in 8 weeks if I stick with the eating plan he would put me on.  I have been pesco vegetarian for over 4 years and he says it would be very beneficial to start eating meat occasionally.  The plan I would be on is basically cutting out grains for the initial phase of the diet, and I would be eating mostly meat and other dense proteins along with vegetables and lots of good fats.  I am not supposed to snack and am supposed to stick to 3 meals per day.  I asked if losing 40 pounds in 2 months (which would be about 5 pounds a week) could cause me to detoxify into the breastmilk or make me lose my supply, and he said this wouldn't as I would be eating foods that support my system and I am supposed to eat lots of the right foods.  I would be getting a blood test that is sent away and gives info on what I am lacking in my system, and then my diet is supposed to have the things I need looked at and a particular diet created for me.

Thoughts?  

Thanks in advance, your advice is desperately sought after! ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

20 pounds a month sounds like a LOT.  I'd sort of be afraid for my supply, too. I think you can diet a bit and still breastfeed--I did--but you kind of want to be aiming more for about 5-10 pounds a month.

I kind of feel like cutting out any snacks and just eating 3 meals a day would make you lose weight no matter what the diet was (meat, no meat, whatever). If you are used to snacking quite a lot, then cutting them out will restrict your calories and lead to weight loss.

Have you considered forgetting about the special diet and doing it old-school? Like, cut down on portion sizes, and then get 3 meals a day and a few snacks, focusing on fruit and veg, whole grains, lean meats and low-fat dairy. If you eat any junk at all (like soft drinks) cut those out immediately. And then try and get 30 minutes of medium to vigorous exercise a day. That's what I always recommend.

#3 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Forty pounds in two months is kind of nuts even before you add in the "while nursing" detail. 

That is very optimistic planning for ANY diet.  I have to question whether it's a healthy goal, and then I have to wonder whether the diet in question stands any chance of getting you there.  Further, my experience with reintroducing meat after a pesco-vege phase is that there's some rough going, digestively, when I bring meat back in again.

I'm also extremely skeptical of any provider who recommends radical lifestyle changes without a really good cause.  This guy is recommending REALLY radical lifestyle changes (meat, no grains, really strict limits on eating) that anyone would have trouble sustaining.

I think you'd be better off finding a running buddy, or a fun class at a gym with some childcare.

#4 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Also, any reason why he's suggesting cutting out grains? Are they currently upsetting your stomach or something? Cutting out grains seems really drastic if you're doing fine with them.

#5 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM

I am somewhat hesitant to give advice because I am not a medical professional, but as someone who has eaten Paleo in the past (grain-free, legume-free, and mostly dairy free) I have read a fair amount about this type of diet.  I would guess that as long as you are not limiting calories and are making sure to get in lots of healthy protein, fats, fruits, veggies, and nuts you will probably be alright.  Just anecdotally, I read a blog of a woman who started this type of diet while nursing her 4 month old and she lost some weight (10-20 lbs in the first month or two maybe?) but her milk supply actually went up after starting the diet-I think she was also doing it not mainly to lose weight but to deal with an autoimmune issue.  But that's just one story and certainly not proof that it won't negatively effect milk supply.  I would just keep an eye on your supply and if it seems to be going down add extra calories (or a couple of healthy snakcs).  I would also just focus on eating healthy and when you're hungry rather than losing a certain number of pounds (that was the great thing for me when I was eating grain-free was that I felt I could trust my hunger reflex more because I wasn't getting the carb-cravings I used to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

Also, any reason why he's suggesting cutting out grains? Are they currently upsetting your stomach or something? Cutting out grains seems really drastic if you're doing fine with them.

Often the reason I've read for people cutting out grains is that they are inflammatory and can really exacerbate conditions that involve inflammation such arthritis or other autoimmune issues.  It also helps with blood sugar issues because grains (even whole grains) have very high glycemic indexes (or whatever the plural of index is, indeces?).  Those would be my first thoughts...

Anyway, good luck and congratulations on getting healthy :)

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#6 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 PM

I went on a similar diet last spring and lost a fair amount of weight but nowhere near 20 pounds a month.  That would be really fast to lose.  I think I lost between 8 and 10 pounds a month.  I didn't have any problem with milk production, even though what I was doing was a bit more extreme (I only ate once a day and only a total of 2 g of carbohydrate per day).  But I don't know anything about what happens to those fat-soluble toxins that are/might be liberated.  

MichelleZB,  I think a lot of us lose better if we're not eating grains.  Calories in/calories out just plain doesn't work for me.  I can eat pretty low cal and still be gaining if I'm eating grains.  I lose best and feel best if my diet is *very* high in fat and moderate protein, and free of grains.  When I don't eat grains my digestion is all different and seems to just work better.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#7 of 9 Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SO much for your replies!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 View Post

Often the reason I've read for people cutting out grains is that they are inflammatory and can really exacerbate conditions that involve inflammation such arthritis or other autoimmune issues.  It also helps with blood sugar issues because grains (even whole grains) have very high glycemic indexes (or whatever the plural of index is, indeces?).  Those would be my first thoughts...

Yes, this is exactly what he explained to me.  He also said that grains would initially be cut out, but that some would eventually be added back in, only they would be properly soaked, sprouted, etc.  

Rubidoux, that's interesting!  How long were you on it?  How old was your nursling?  

Meepycat, you mentioned " Further, my experience with reintroducing meat after a pesco-vege phase is that there's some rough going, digestively, when I bring meat back in again."  I figured there would be some kind of discomfort when reintroducing meat.  Is that you going through those phases you refer to, or do you counsel others nutrition-wise?  I'd be curious to why you bring meat back in?  I am partly struggling with the thought of going from pesco-veg to eating all meats and would love more info on the reasons why it is beneficial.

Again, thanks so much all of you for the input!!

#8 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Orange_Mommy, the experience I'm talking about is mine and my DH's.  I've gone veg, or mostly veg, at various times, largely for financial reasons.  DH avoids red meat because of cholesterol issues, so it's very rare that I eat it either.  When I've brought meat back in, it's been for "social" reasons - because I am staying with people who don't cook the way I do, because it's the easiest way to get protein into the kids, because it's easier (for me) to be creative with ground turkey than it is to be creative with lentils or chickpeas.  It's my belief that vegetarian is almost certainly healthier, and bringing meat back in isn't a change I would make for health reasons.

#9 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 PM

FWIW, I am currently nursing a 5 month old and 3 weeks ago started a Paleo like way of eating. I was a vegetarian for most of my life. I recently cut out all carbs and grains (i had brown rice twice), cut out all dairy 100%, and almost completely eliminated all processed foods - which for me is boxed coconut milk, boxed oatmeal and anything remotely processed. I eat pasture raised grass fed meat and poultry and lots of veggies. Fruit as well. I am not limiting fat in any way and am still getting a lot of calories, maybe more than before even. i recently started working out a lot more and feel great! I gained a lot of weight pregnant and realized that none of it was coming off because I wasn't paying attention to what i was putting in my body. Since I started eating Paleo-ish I feel a lot more energized, less bloated, skin is clearing up and i've lost about 8 pounds in 3 weeks. And as far as nursing goes, i have a really good supply and have noticed that it's actually fattier. I can tell when it separates if i pump, and i can see that it is whiter and thicker, believe it or not. DS is eating and gaining really well. so in my experience, if you are getting calories from nutrient rich food, it should only be better for you and babe!

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page