Increase supply before birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 38 wks with my second child. When I had my first LO I was very young and because of things that were out of my control I was very malnourished. So breast feeding was impossible no matter how hard I tried. I really want to make sure I have a healthy supply of milk for my baby when she finally arrives. I've heard that drinking mother's milk tea is not safe during pregnancy because it induces labor. I'm 38 wks and my baby hasn't even dropped yet so I'm wondering if drinking it might help speed up the process? Are there any other ways to help increase milk supply before birth? Any input would be greatly appreciated! I plan on asking at my next dr appt but that's not for a few days..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had never heard that mother's milk tea could induce labor so I have no idea.  I just wanted to encourage you not to worry about your baby not dropping yet.  My DD never really dropped until I had been in labor for several hours.

If you're interested in natural labor induction techniques there are quite a few like nipple stimulation, some herbs, sex.  You should ask your dr or mw and research those.  But remember due dates and even the standard 40 weeks are all averages. Assuming all else is well and you and baby are healthy I wouldn't worry about trying to speed labor along until you hit 40 weeks at the earliest.

As for ensuring a good supply the best thing you can do now is arm your self with knowledge.  You may have already done some or all of this, but I like being over prepared.  Kellymom.com is a great online resource.  Books like The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and So That's What They're There For are great as well.  Another good resource is your local La Leche League.  Try to attend a meeting now before you give birth so you have already met the leader and some other BFing moms.  That way if you need help you can call someone you've met and chatted with rather than a total stranger.  Find the number of an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in your area, just in case.

After your baby is here the best thing you can do to ensure good supply is nurse, nurse nurse.  Milk production is based on supply and demand so the more milk your babe removes from the breast the more milk gets made.  Forget the clock and feeding on a schedule and nurse whenever your babe is hungry.

Congratulations on your coming little one and best wishes for a successful nursing relationship!

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about increasing your supply unless you have issues after your baby is born.

One thing that would be good to do, if you haven't already, is set up your support system for breastfeeding help now. Make sure you have the number of a good lactation consultant, find out about local La Leche League meetings. That way you know who to call when you have questions.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List