Nursing Lying Down - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My baby is three weeks old and he isn't really able to latch on himself.  The only way I've been successful at feeding him so far has been when I sit upright and hold him in the cross cradle hold. He definitely roots and tries to latch on himself, he just can't seem to manage.

When is it likely that he will be able to to manage a little more on his own?  I'm looking forward to being able to nurse him at night without getting up out of bed but right now it's just too frustrating to both of us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what have you tried laying down? i still had to help my new babies latch on while we both were on our sides, facing each other. feed with the bottm breast and hold it with the top hand. you don't have to have the baby lay on your arm, lots of moms do it that way but it's easier for me for the baby to lay totally on the bed, with my bottom arm stretched above baby's head. maybe if you have someone lay the baby in front of you after you get comfy that may cut out some awkwardness until you get the hang of it.

babies latch on their own at different ages. my last one seemed to be around 7 months maybe but that is late compared to my others!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 5 Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

My daughter had a lot of trouble with lying down nursing until she got some better head control.  I think she was about 8 weeks before it kind of clicked and lying down nursing was easier.  Before that I had to do exactly what you said, sit up nursing in cradle hold.  After that she got to be a super pro, and I think liked lying down nursing better than anything else. LOL

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep, keep trying different things until you find what your munchkin likes.

I have larger breasts on a smaller frame, and in the beginning the sheer size issues made anything but the football hold impossible for Little Miss. 

I hate(d) football hold.

Then we moved on to the cradle hold, when she was about a month old, and she could control her head a bit.

At around 3-4 months I started nursing her while laying on my side.  I haven't had to sit up in the middle of the night since then.

Of course, now she practically gets her own nunnie out of the pajamas and puts it in her mouth.  irked.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#5 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When lying down I put him on his side and try with the lower breast.  I keep trying every other day or so and a few times I've been able to get him latched, although not very good.  I guess I'll just keep trying every few days, he's changing to much day to day hopefully it will "click" for us soon!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page