Using breastmilk to treat eye infection? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any experience of information on treating an eye infection (pink eye) solely with breastmilk?  I've used that approach with DD1 for a few days one time and then ended up using rx drops for 2 days to clear up the last of it.  The baby and I both have the start of pink eye... I suspect my 4 year old does too but she's denying it.

I'm conflicted about trying to just use breastmilk v. getting a rx.  We're heading out of town on Weds so I can't really wait and see for too long since we'd need to get in and see our dr. tomorrow if we need the rx. 

I suppose we could just go and see the doc and get the rx and then wait and see about using it.  But, I'm not that eager to get into the peds office tomorrow am!  Anyone have any experiences or info to share to help make the decision?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#2 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 PM

I used it on the whole family. I read up a lot about it, and I actually discovered that a lot of pink eye is viral and the drops don't really do anything. Breast milk won't totally cure the viral cases either though, but it should help. Viral cases clear up on their own with time.

So, sometimes you'll hear a case where someone used breast milk and it cleared up in a couple days. (That case was probably bacterial, and the breast milk really helped). Other times you hear when someone tried it, and it didn't totally clear up, so they went on drops and it got better. Well, the drops might not have done it, by then the virus had run its course.

If you suspect pink eye, just start using the breast milk ASAP. You may nip it in the bud.

#3 of 3 Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the info.  I think your explanation for viral/bacterial makes a lot of sense!  I always thought pink eye was only bacterial.  I started using breastmilk yesterday right after my post and her eye seems like it might be getting better instead of worse.  Mine still feels a little itchy but no real discharge, maybe we were able to nip it in the bud.  :)

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page