Has anyone had a successful breastfeeding relationship after high pallet and weak suck? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby was born about a month ago and he kept losing weight on just breastfeeding alone.  We supplemented, first with formula, and now with my breastmilk when that came in. We are still supplementing. We've been to LC's and even had a feeding evaluation done at a local children's hospital. He was born with a tongue tie and lip tie which we had fixed when he was 5 days old. I've been told he has a high pallet (roof of the mouth) probably due to his mouth developing in utero with a tongue tie. From what I've read online, sometimes the baby will grow into his mouth making it easier to breastfeed. He's also been diagnosed with a weak suck. He doesn't do the long extraction sucks which is why he wasn't getting enough from the breast. This has been a really disheartening journey for me because I nursed DS1 until he was 3 years old.  I just didn't expect these problems with DS2 and I've been on an emotional roller coaster since he's been born. I am also a lousy pumper and don't know how long I can keep up the pumping and if my supply goes down, I won't be able to keep up with his demand. So, I guess I'm hoping for some good news here. Has anyone had an experience with either a high pallet or a weak suck or both? What happened? Did it get better as baby got older and stronger? Am I just holding on to a pipe dream????

Thanks,

Christine

#2 of 3 Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM

wave.gif

DD2 had a weak suck, high palate, lack of central tongue groove, disorganized swallow, etc. I'm assuming you're in feeding therapy now to work on the suck strength? It can DEFINITELY get better! DD is now 27mo and is still nursing!!

I won't say it has been a walk in the park.... it isn't as comfortable as it was with my first DD, and DD's feeding issues have extended into solids and low growth. But that's another story, and the upshot is that our bfing relationship ended up rocking!! smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 3 Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 AM

I had to get craniosacral therapy (some chiropracters and some massage therapists do it) in order to maximize my daughter's tongue movement after her revisions (she also needed 2 because the first doctor did not fully revise it). She's 2 months out from her second revision (7 months old) and nursing is soooooo much better. Not perfect by any stretch, but, it is contueing to improve the more craniosacral we do. The thing is that the tie causes muscle restriction and that must be released as well. My daughter's entired body was effected - from her tongue tie! Crazy!

To give you an idea of the improvement (in a nutshell) - she was transferring 1/4 ounce or less of milk in an hour of nursing a few weeks after birth and was losing weight even with suppliment, she could not hang on to the breast and could not hold a pacifier. Now she is still gaining slowly but she IS gaining, she transferred almost 4oz the other day, she slips here or there but can stay on the breast much better now. Before her second revision at 4 months she seemed behind on her milestones...within a few weeks she was caught up on everything and has stayed that way.

I hear of many moms who expierence 100% improvement with proper revision and bodywork...and even though we aren't there (at least not yet) we have come amazingly far...it just stops me in my tracks when I think about it. I hope the best for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page