Longer Breastfeeding = more weight loss??? (crossposted in "weight management") - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was reading somewhere that women who didn't lose pregnancy weight initially with breastfeeding lost it effortlessly when they nursed their babies into the second year.  In your experience, is this true?  I lost most of my prego weight within the first 5 months of nursing DD (just by breastfeeding, no other changes) but the scale hasn't really budged the last 2 months.  I'm only about 5 lbs over pre-prego weight, but was hoping to be back to The Number by 9 mos pp.  I'm not sure if will happen now, but maybe the longer I nurse her the more I'll lose??? I hope it works like that... Did it for any of you?

#2 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I think so...my babies have nursed between 2 and 4 years and spacing was 2 years up to 3 1/2 Yrs, so a min. of 15mo. before next pregnancy and I've always ben back down to pre-pregnancy weight, but it takes time. I usualy gain about 50, was 80 with my newest who was born last week.

#3 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! Good to know!

#4 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Well, that's exciting!  I weighed less when I delivered than before getting pregnant (gestational diabetes) and kept losing weight for the first 2-3 months.  After that, I'm just stuck.  I haven't really changed eating habits, etc, so I'm wondering why.  Maybe I'll just lose it later.  :)

#5 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Ugh, I wish it had worked like that for me! I lost all of my preggo weight in only a couple of months, I think, but I was a little overweight to begin with and have been unable to get under my pre-pregnancy weight. Then, last month (20 months postpartum), I had gained 5 pounds! I've been exercising more and eating more healthily, and yet here I am gaining weight. I read in What to Expect (EVERYTHING I read in there I took with a grain of salt, but I have heard this from other sources as well) that sometimes nursing leads your body to retain weight, so I'm actually hoping that when I wean my attempts to lose weight will be more successful. But I think it's different for everyone. 

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#6 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM

I always lose gradually in the first 6 months, stall, then lost a little bit more around 9-12 months - then stall, then the weight starts melting off at about 18 months!  generally, i get pregnant shortly after that - but with my last 2 pregnancies i started out weighing less than i did when i got pregnant with my first baby

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#7 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, I guess I will just wait and see.  It seems I've lost a bit more since I wrote this, but I'm also trying to eat fewer carbs so that may have played a role as well.  annaknitsspock -  yes, I heard that too.  I think there was a study and it said 1/5 women didn't find breastfeeding to speed weight loss.  Bleah. :-( 

#8 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM

just to add my 2c--IME, I've lost almost all the weight in about 10 months, with usually 5 lbs to spare. Then after about 14 months I am back to pre-preggers weight. I really think it has to do with EBF, for me. with both kiddos I've EBF until 13 months, and then to 3+years

BTW, I've heard other moms comment about those 5lbs that seem to just hang on for a while. No fun, but I think it's natural and besides, baby can enjoy a softer mama that way. :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Weight loss so far - 13lbs. @ 3 days after birth and an additional 12lbs. @ 6 week check-up yesterday, so 25 total out of the 80 I gained.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page