Breastfeeding at 12 months: What's your eating/nursing balance? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think my DS is still getting the vast majority of his nutrition from nursing. He likes food "ok", but never eats more than a few bites at a time. He nurses 3-4 times a day and I have no idea how often at night, except it seems frequent (we cosleep so I barely wake up to feed him- awesome!) He was not anemic at his year ped visit, he's way up there on the growth curves, happy, hitting developmental milestones, all that good stuff. I'm not worried about his health, I guess I'm posting mainly hoping to not feel like a freak. His nursing doesn't cramp my style, as I pump and he'll take a bottle when I'm out and about. I do feel like he's been nursing a TON this week, either growth spurting or teething or both, and I have a small fear that my supply won't keep up and he'll refuse to fill in the gap with food and... and... then he'll starve! 

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#2 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I have similar worries and my DD is 11 months old (and super healthy as far as anyone can tell).  She just started being interested in food and at most meals she only eats about a tablespoon or possibly two if we're lucky.  But she nurses a lot more than your kiddo--still maybe six or seven times a day, ish?  (I have to admit I never count, I just feed her when she seems hungry...)  And a couple of times at night.  But she has always been a champion nurser, and nursed pretty much constantly the first couple months.

We're intending to just kind of go with the flow...  And she has a very sensitive tummy (problems with soooo many things in breastmilk, or now as solid food--she's slowly outgrowing this, very slowly) so we feel like maybe there's a reason to take the solid food slowly.

My parents and inlaws probably think I'm a freak, but DD has screamed with tummyache in front of them enough that nobody dares tell me so to my face. :P 

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM

my son is making a very slow switch to solids.  i've seen 6 month olds polish off more in one sitting than my 20 month old son does in an entire day.  sometimes an entire week.  he just loves nursing.  he also had tummy troubles, so i think that it's part of the reason....but we seem to have those under control at this point, the boy just loves to nurse.  every babe is a little different, but i think it's way more common than people realize for kids to get the majority of their calories from nursing way past the year of one. my son is off the charts big, too.

for me personally, i know my son would eat more if i fed him "filler" type foods, but that wouldn't really make me (or him) feel better.  he eats a relatively small amount of food, but it's all nutrient dense stuff.  that also makes a difference ;)

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#4 of 5 Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Mine is 13 months and is the same way. I think a tablespoon of regular food would be a lot for her. She seems fine though, even though all her little friends eat more solid food than she does.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#5 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I read Mothering Your Nursing Toddler when my oldest (she'll be 10 in two weeks - sniffle) was about 9 months old.  What helped me w/ nursing beyond a year, was reading in there that nursing beyond a year was common until artificial milk became available.  So, since she wasn't taking that, I saw no reason to wean her or limit her nursing.  

It's common to worry about supply in our quantitative world!  As long as you feed him on demand, aren't trying to loose weight rapidly or some other unusual situation, your body will make enough milk.

He's lucky he has a mama who goes w/ what he needs, not what society wants!  thumb.gif

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page