EBF 4 month old and daycare - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Today is my first day back at work. (yuck) My DD is 16 weeks today and has been ebf. I have been giving her a bit of exprssed milk in a bottle everyday as a way to give her her vit d and probiotics and she has had no trouble taking a bottle. I have been texting with our daycare provider today who says she is not really eating. She has had maybe 4oz so far all day! Im worried!! (im a worrier by nature anyway) this is not enough!! I know she is in a new situation and she is adjusting to being away from me. My son never had any issues with eating enough at daycare, so I dont know what to exepct here. Anyone had this issue?? I hope it is just about adjusting and not something that continues. She is small to begin with and I want her to maintain her weight and keep gaining! People always say if they are hungry they will eat, but she always nursed at home everry 2-3 hours so I know she is hungry, but just wants my boob rather than a bottle.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#2 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know what time you posted this, but 4 ounces may not be as little as it sounds.  It is hard to measure what they are actually getting per nursing session.  I am definitely not an expert, but I would think that if she is taking a couple of ounces every 2-3 hours, she will probably be fine.  She might very well marathon nurse when she sees you, but she won't starve.  It is so hard to leave them :( , but you will both adjust.  

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

How long did she have to eat the 4 ounces? The rule is an ounce an hour: if you were away for 8 hours, then eating 2 4-ounce feedings is fine, apparently! She'll make it up when she sees you.

#4 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies. I had posted that at the end of my work day. Monday night she nursed 3 times before going to sleep for the night (she sleeps through till 5 am now) and yesterday at daycare she ate 10oz and nursed 3 times before bed as well. I also changed her bottle and nipple size for daycare and that seemed to help. So things look like they are moving in the right direction.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page