Tandem nursing if older kiddo hasn't nursed in a while? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone! Where to start? I was *totally* shocked to find myself pregnant with baby # 3 when my DD was just 6 months old. It was really heartbreaking for me because my milk had dried up when I was pregnant with her so I knew it would happen again. Anyway, I successfully breastfed her with the help of a lot of herbs until about a month or so agao, and despite doing *everything* my milk dried up and I got such a bad aversion to her dry nursing I just couldn't take it anymore and we weaned. I have been planning since the get go to tandem nurse and I have been really excited about it actually. Now, however, at almost 32 weeks my colostrum is coming in but my DD seems to have no interest in latching on? I am now really worried and saddened to think what if after I have this baby it will have been so long my DD won't want to nurse? greensad.gif Or is she just waiting for when it's really back in full force? It would seriously break my heart if she doesn't want to nurse again. So I guess I am looking for similar stories, and reassurance that a kiddo can successfully learn to nurse again and things can go well?

Thanks so much Mamas <3

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I heard a story from a woman who is on MDC who recently who gave birth and afterwards her 2-year old starting nursing from her again after having stopped during her pregnancy, so it's possible. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM

I have been wondering the same thing, but my story is a little different.  I am 36 weeks pregnant and my DD weaned a year ago in September, she is now 3.5 years old.  She keeps suggesting that once the milk comes in when the baby is born that she can nurse too.  I am not necessarily against it, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience like that.  I guess I kind of figured that it has been so long that she may try and then will have forgotten how, but maybe she was old enough when she weaned that she would remember?  If she does remember are there any negative things I should consider before letting her try again?

Working Mama to DD energy.gif(2/14/09) and DS biggrinbounce.gif(9/13/12)saynovax.gifcd.gifnocirc.gif homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFand wife to DH (7/31/05)

#4 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Yes, I've done this. :)

My kids are 21 months apart, and my older daughter weaned during my pregnancy.  It wasn't her choice, but by the second trimester, breastfeeding had become very painful for me and my milk dried up.  She was maybe 15-16 months old or so the last time she nursed.

After my son was born, he had latch difficulties due to a tongue tie that had to be surgically corrected, and I received a lot of help from many people in getting him to breastfeed well.  Somewhere along the line someone suggested letting my daughter nurse again to help with my milk supply.  I was nervous at first because it had been months since she had breastfed.  I didn't know if she would remember how or if she would bite. 

She nursed like a champ from the time I first offered, as if she had never stopped.  I ended up tandem nursing until my son self-weaned first when he was around 18 months old.  My daughter nursed until she was 5, with exception of those few months during my second pregnancy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page