When to start pumping for donation... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a good friend who just had her 4th baby a week ago. She is in the small percentage of Women who just doesn't produce breastmilk (and yes, she's tried absolutely everthing to make it work.) Her last was exclusively fed on donor milk until about a year and she's ramping up to do the same with this one.

Once my baby arrives in 6 weeks or so, I'd like to start pumping so I can contribute to her stash. With my first, I leaned towards oversupply, so I did very little pumping, but I'd like to plan on pumping once a day or so for my friend's baby. My question is basically, when to start... should I be pumping right from the beginning to  make sure I have adequate supply to do both, or should I wait until my supply has settled down a bit to avoid some of the risks of oversupply? And if so, when would you start? (Obviously this is assuming everthing is going well with my newborn.)

Thanks for any advice!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#2 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

I don't know myself but thought I'd post to get your question some attention from moms who have done this and can share their experience.

Anyone have advice to offer?

#3 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 AM

I started pumping for donating once I had a freezer stash for my own baby - about 100oz.  Then at 2wks or so I started on more of a schedule of what time of day to pump. I followed that again this time around and it worked really well, I took advantage of the initial engorgement and I didn't have to try to get my supply up again for donating.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#4 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would wait a few weeks to establish the supply you need vs. the supply you would like to provide.. At about six weeks or so start a daily pumping session at the same time each day. I found double pumping helpful (pump ten, take a hot shower, pump ten). Morning is the best time.

#5 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 AM

I'm not sure on the oversupply, as I tended to be a just-barely-enough-supply-and-not-a-drop-more kind of gal, but I probably wouldn't start before 2 weeks (and probably would wait longer) as I would just be too tired/busy to do it. But yeah, once you did start I would try to pump about the same time everyday and in the morning to get more with less effort.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone!

I'm still waiting for this baby to make his or her appearance (just 38 weeks, so likely still have a ways to go) but I think my current plan will be to play it by ear. Assuming all is going well, I'll probably start pumping once a day once my milk is in, and while I still have a bunch of family around to watch the toddler and hold the baby if need be.

I'm lucky in that I don't have to worry about going back to work, so I'm not going to be trying to build a freezer stash for myself as well, so I feel like I should be able to make at least a small contribution to the local milk sharing community.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page