Weekend away... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In 2 weeks, I have 3 days away from my 6 month old son, my first trip away from him. He started reverse cycling last week, not taking a bottle during the day and instead feeding with me every 2 hours through the night. While dreading the time away from my LOs (I have a 3.5 yr old too), I was sort of looking forward to a night or three of uninterrupted sleep, but now I'm concerned... Will I need to pump through the nigh to keep up my supply? And more importantly, will my LO eat while I'm gone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know if I can say what he will or won't do..... is he with another care provider during the day? and has started refusing bottles with that person? Hmm.  I think Dr. Sears has some info on his site about getting breast babies to take bottles... As for the pumping... no way to really know there either... I guess if it were me, I'd try to balance getting in some rest with getting the pumping done.  Does he take both breasts at a feed during the night? If he doesn't, the pump will, so you could do one pump which would equal two feeds.  He might also not be emptying the breast fully at night because he's fallen asleep?  Maybe you could go to bed at an earlier time, like 9 or 10, get up to pump at 12, sleep til 6 and pump again, and see how much you get.  If you don't think you got enough to equal what he would have eaten, then the next night pump again at 3 instead of sleeping through.  Or maybe you could call your care provider (the nighttime one) and see how much he had overnight from the bottle and try to match that?  I don't think it's a perfect science, because babies are different with people other than their mom, in my experience.  I do hope everything works out for you!  I'm sure it will be fine.  If your supply takes a little dip, there are things to do to get it back up again.  I think your baby will do fine.  They are very resilient little people.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)

User Tag List