breast pumps and prices and renting??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a place in my town that you can rent an electric breast pump from. I have to go electric as my hands and wrist cannot handle the constant hand pumping (my hands will lock up and the pain is comparable to csection pain for me.) I was wondering, have any of you ladies ever done this? And is it safe? The prices to buy a good pump are crazy! I just can't afford that. My daughter I was only able to breast feed for 6 weeks and had to go to formula. This go around, I REALLY want to breast feed for at least a year, and not do ANY formula if I can help it.

dust.gif Mother to two beautiful daughters (6, and a newborn) dust.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM

I rented a hospital grade pump when my double electric pump went out and I was waiting for my warranty covered replacement. It's safe as the only part that is rented are the parts that don't come into contact with milk. You still have to buy the tubing, flanges, etc. to connect to the rental. If you are going to be using it for a shorter time or if your insurance will cover the rental (rare IME), it can be cheaper, if you are going to use the pump for a long time, it is usually cheaper overall to buy, but yeah it's a big investment up front. Insurance will sometimes cover buying a pump, but its rare. Maybe start out renting and if you are going to make it for the long haul, then consider purchasing a pump?

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#3 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you :-) they sell the stuff seperatly so that wouldn't be a problem. I might still look into buying one, like you suggested. My boyfriend is encouraging me to breastfeed which is nice. Might just have to either save up for one or use tax money.

#4 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM

If you qualify, I know WIC in some areas will give or loan breast pumps, or if you have a local breastfeeding support group, you might want to try contacting them.
#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

I get WIC, so I will have to ask about that at my next appt, I never thought about that! Thanks :-)

#6 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Our WIC offices here are super breastfeeding friendly. I even was able to rent a free hospital-grade pump from them for when my angel was in the NICU.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#7 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 PM

If you have private health insurance, breast pump support and equipment are now 100% covered by your insurance, because of the new Health Care Act biggrinbounce.gif

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page