Breastfeeding crisis...at major risk.. HELP! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the bright side, your body is doing exactly what it should. He nursed because he needed more, your body made more. Over active letdown is no fun, but if he takes less, your body will get the message soon. Cabbage leaves when you're super full and uncomfortable will help in the meantime.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#32 of 36 Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

Remember I wrote - if it is not one thing it is another? 

Last 24 hours bear testimony to this fact! 

At the risk of making this about 'me me me' I am still going to write down every problem of mine here. If nothing it will serve as a log...at best I can get some ideas (and I have gotten ideas and encouragement aplenty here...thank you!)

So remember the cluster-feeding that went on for 3 days? Well ...he kicked up my breasts into a temporary oversupply and forceful letdown. During those cluster-feed days during the nights (after the restful sleep) my breasts were kind of having forceful letdowns..he seemed to choke a couple of times...draw back once or twice...but seemed ok. I was hoping it would settle down..but

...my guy has his own ideas. Since the last 24 hours (since yesterday afternoon ) he has started clamping down on my breast during breastfeeding and acting 'afraid of a letdown'. Basically he is employing weak sucks and sleeping after a couple of letdowns - and leaving my breasts half-full - again!!!! His poops (which were aplenty have gone down a bit. Earlier he was having one every BF session..now every other).

I mean- without question- he is half-feeding and very gingerly at that. Spilling the first few sips into a wash-cloth - no help. I would have to pretty much dribble my whole first letdown into a washcloth to let it abate and remember - he is an impatient guy and anyway.. I don't think I have an oversupply - just an overactive letdown.

Dunno what to do.............waiting to ride this out too .

Wonder when all these teething problem will resolve and we can have a consistent BF relationship :(

Look, my newborn son did most of this. There were days where he cluster fed to get my supply up when he was growth spurting. Then there were some days of engorgement and overactive let down after that. He did a little spluttering and choking during those days. Then he'd bite down on the nipple a bit for a few days to keep the spurt down. Then my supply would match his demand for awhile and all would be calm. Then we'd start up the cycle again as he's ramp my supply up again!

Nursing can be an ever-changing phenomenon. No two nursing sessions have to be the same!

Once my son got older, he was better able to deal with my let down. In fact, he now prefers the fast let down. He still won't take a bottle, and never did, because no bottle can give him milk as "fast" as mama can. 

I'm not there and I can't see the extent of your problems. But is it possible you have a non-problem problem? Perhaps your son is nursing normally--for him--and it's just other people (doctors, LCs) who have a problem with it? Babies do poop less frequently as they get older, so that may not be any indication of bad feeding, either.

#33 of 36 Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I do wish I had a non-problem . The way I see it.. so far I have had problems that seemed huge (to the extent that I thought that that was the end of my BF relationship- truly) and had them resolved either with the help of a LC or by themselves. I think any one of them individually could have been seen as just a teething problem but in my case , by sheer bad luck, they came in hordes --- to compound themselves as a bigger whole.

I think what made this worse is that he is a screamer - the most impatient guy ever. Goes from sleeping to screaming in under a minute. My daughter was so low needs that I never even heard her coo until 4 months...and this one throws me all in a tizzy with his crying.

My daughter was induced at 35.5 weeks and I was asked to formula supplement heavily. Not knowing any better I did and hence never had these teething problems (the unbearable 3rd day agony of waiting for my milk to come in, having to establish exclusive milk supply..cluster feeding etc.). It is only when she was spitting up heavily and showed dairy allergy that I first joined mothering and started researching..whereas before that I was ignorant and mainstream about quite a few things (formula, vaccines etc.)

Anyway - since the past two days we are seeing the round ring of red dots around his anus - I guess that means dairy allergy? My daughter has it... I prayed I would dodge this with him...going to his ped today....

#34 of 36 Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM

How old is he? Way young for teeth, right?  I have heard that it's common for babes to chomp when overwhelmed by milk.  

I have been dealing with dairy problems as well.  I have come to realize that the problem is my own, so any baby I nurse reacts as though they are having a milk allergy.  Just a thought for you, that it may be your own dairy issue causing issues in the babies.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#35 of 36 Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

I read both the cluster feeding links. YES that is my baby.  If I do not ..my breasts will never get a chance to replenish!

This might help with thoughts on needing to fill back up. At least it did with me to help me feel better when my baby is non stop.

http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot.com/2011/01/breasts-feeling-full-good-thing-myth.html

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#36 of 36 Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Some of the behavior you've described sounds similar to how my 9 month old DD acts at times. She would go through cycles of feeding so much in the evenings, I'd be stuck on the couch for hours. This usually happens before a growth spurt, or big milestone. She gets frantic and scratches and pinches at my boobs, which seems to indicate she's over tired or over stimulated, quiet dark spaces help sooth her to sleep. She's always been a frequent eater, far more often than every 3 hours. I figure breastfeeding is not going to be super easy all the time, but most of the problems can be dealt with in some way. The biggest problem I see is that you LO is not gaining well, the solution is feeding more often, whether formula or breastmilk. If you really need some rest supplementing with formula occasionally might give you the sanity you need, but doing so regularly will effect supply, and could interfer with your future bfing relationship.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page