Painful bluish lump in nipple? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-21-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS - 19 months - still nurses a lot and acrobatically so I assumed when I started having toe-curling pain in my right nipple a few days ago that it was from a tug or bite during the night that I slept through. But when it persisted I noticed there's no sign of an injury and I can feel a round, smooth, pea-sized lump where the nipple meets the areola. It's pretty tender to the touch and downright painful while nursing and pumping.
There's no sign of a milk bleb and the lump looks bluish and connects to to some prominent blue veins. Could this be a varicose vein?
Will continuing to nurse and pump make it worse?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#2 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Megan, that sounds painful. Maybe a plugged duct or the start of mastitis? When I had mastitis, the lumps were tender to the touch and downright painful while pumping. Do you have a midwife or doctor that you can check with? I hope you feel better soon.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mama.
Mastitis or a plugged duct would have been my first thought but I checked out kellymom.com and the symptoms just don't seem to add up.
I e-mailed my LC and she said she'd never heard of a varicose vein on the nipple and didn't know what my symptoms could mean. I think I'm off to the doctor, who luckily hasn't blinked an eye at me nursing my toddler...

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#4 of 6 Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Megan, thinking of you. I hope the doctor can help figure out what this is and help you feel better. Please keep us posted!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mama. Dr. Google thinks it's likely a cyst but I'll get to my doc as soon as I can.

#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM

I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us posted. hug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page