When must I start pumping...she's 5 days old but not returning to work til 4-6 months.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't actually want to start pumping anytime soon, but when should I if I don't plan to go to work until months from now?
On an emotional level, I don't want to start bottles at all yet...

dog2.gif Early childhood teacher, animal rescuer, guardian to 2 dogs and 2 cats.cat.gifjoy.gifOur little kumquat Rose is here!  Born 9/18!  joy.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 AM

I wouldn't bother until 3-4 weeks bc if baby is nursing ok I would not introduce a bottle until then and then only give 1-2 a week maybe. then you don't need to do it that often until closer to your return to work. goal is 16-24 oz for first day at work so you just need to start early enough to get that much. nak. 

Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 AM

If you have 4 - 6 months before you need to return i wouldnt touch that pump until at least 12 weeks!  Its best to let the baby regulate how much he needs - if you start pumping now, you will start producing more milk than baby needs - its just better to let nature take over right now...you have plenty of time to deal with the pump!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, that gives me some relief from worrying.  Thanks for the input!

dog2.gif Early childhood teacher, animal rescuer, guardian to 2 dogs and 2 cats.cat.gifjoy.gifOur little kumquat Rose is here!  Born 9/18!  joy.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Now that I'm no longer NAKing, one more thing I wanted to add. I dealt with excess lipase in my milk. This is not harmful but basically the upshot is that milk that has been frozen for more than 2-3 weeks tastes really yucky and my daughter wouldn't drink it. The solution I discovered is to scald the milk before freezing it, and after I do this it's fine. This problem isn't really common, but it does happen and I'd hate for somebody else to be blindsided by it. So I think it's important to pump enough in advance that you can let some milk sit in the freezer, thaw it a month later, and see if it's still good. If it's not, you then have time to adjust and you aren't faced with going back to work leaving your child with a freezer full of milk they won't touch. So I would recommend you pump at least a couple times 6-8 weeks before your return to work, freeze it, and then check in a month to see if it is still palatable. 

Kellymom.com has more information about excess lipase. 

Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Many moms who are working and pumping don't bother with having milk frozen for months. If you start pumping a few weeks before you go back to work and set up a pumping schedule for yourself, you can stay a week or two ahead of what baby needs and the milk will always be fairly recent.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List