Question about storage/combining frozen pumped milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Questions about pumped milk. I've been pumping 1 or 2 ozs a day. Then I put it in the fridge to get cold, then xfr to a breastmilk bag for the freezer. If I pump again the next day, can I add this to the same freezer bag? I'm afraid that opening the freezer bag might rip it, since it is frozen solid by the next day. Also, does adding the cold milk (I'll put it in the fridge first) to the frozen milk shock it in some way? I was thinking it was better to gradually freeze it, that's why I put it in the fridge first, then xfr to freezer bag.

I was thinking I could just keep a freezer bag in the fridge and adds my 1 or 2 ozs per day, then when I have 4 ozs, transfer to the freezer, but then the breast milk could be up to 4 days old before freezing, is this bad? I don't want to waste freezer bags and only put 1 oz per bag, but also don't want to rip/damage bag by trying to open frozen solid to add more milk.

#2 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I believe you can buy trays that are specifically meant to hold small amounts of breast milk-- like ice cube trays almost... I didn't look too closely at them when I was at the store where I saw them, so I don't know how they work exactly.  But it seems to me that it would be easier/more economical to use them instead of the bags.  I wish I knew what the product name was... maybe somebody on here can say?

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#3 of 4 Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You are supposed to mix hot and warm bm but with qualities in question, I would. Assuming you are freezing in bottle size portions of say, 4 oz, then you are probably just mixing two small amounts. I would refrigerate until you have the right amount and then place into a freezer bag. I would not try and reopen a freezer bag.

#4 of 4 Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 PM

I kind of liked having a variety of oz amounts in my frozen stash for when the 4oz bottle just wasn't quite enough, but you don't want to waste 3oz to give them one more oz. I would say maybe put 2-3 days worth into each bag and then freeze, then you should have 2-4oz bags which won't waste as many bags, but will still give you some flexibility. And definitely don't try to open a freezer bag that is frozen! And you can put fresh pumped milk directly in the freezer, just don't put it right next to your other milk until it is frozen as it will locally warm up whatever is right next to it.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page