It's not always as easy as nature intended . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to post some thoughts here. My first born is going to be 12 on her next bday (I can hardly believe time has passed so quickly!). I have had some changes in my life since that time including becoming a pediatric registered nurse at a leading children's hospital. I encounter a lot of new babies and am often faced with helping moms with feeding problems, or ordering an LC to help the mom while the baby is on our unit. 

Recently I had a little baby come in who was exclusively breastfed and gaining well, however this baby had some periods where it stopped breathing and turned blue at home. We had the baby in for observation and some tests. Unfortunately this baby was found to be aspirating on fluids and had to be fed nectar thick fluids only. Mom was heartbroken that she now had to pump full time and thicken the milk for her baby. The LC did tell her that she could put the baby to the breast for comfort right after she had fully pumped but mom said it's not the same. I was able to support this mom because I knew what it was like to exclusively pump, as I did the same thing for 5.5 months for my oldest child. It's very hard to do and even more so for this mom who had two other young children at home and was going back to work in 2 weeks. She was supposed to pump every 2-3 hours around the clock to maintain her supply, and then feed the baby bottles and then care for her family.

We are about to embark on RSV season and most of those babies are also sent to our unit, as well as 1-2 pertussis babies that we have at a time during this time of year also. Those babies often have respiratory rates too high and coughing fits too out of control to allow them to nurse or bottle feed. As with heart babies, our RSV/pertussis babies poop out very easily just trying to cope with severe illness and nursing/feeding takes up their energy, and they cannot coordinate fast breathing with feeding. Respirations rates are often in the 60's and above. Their noses are clogged up too, and babies are nose-breathers, and it's almost impossible to suck and feed with a clogged nose and coughing fits. So, they end up on fluids  or tube feedings until their illness runs its course, usually 5-10 days in the hospital. As nurses our job is supportive care and lots of suctioning of the nose so they can breathe, and suctioning the inner cheeks where they cough up the mucous. If they get too bad they end up sedated/intubated but thankfully that's a small percentage, not the norm.

As a nurse and as a mom I see this and I am sad. The mothers express that they feel helpless to comfort their babies, and the babies often have a hard time re-establishing breastfeeding after the illness. 

When I was unable to nurse I was given a hard time by many in the breastfeeding community who felt that moms like me didn't try hard enough or didn't have enough support. That was certainly not the case with me, and is often not the case with the moms I encounter at the hospital. I had one mom being given a very hard time by her sister who just didn't understand how ill the baby was and it was not the mom's fault that the baby was not able to nurse. Moms who pump are heroes. Moms whose breastfeeding relationship is taken away by circumstances beyond her control are not any less moms with attachment than those who have a good breastfeeding relationship. 

When I encounter moms who are grieving this loss I encourage them to have skin to skin contact even with older babies, learn to bottle-nurse, and 1000 other ways to bond. I just hope whoever reads this can help support fellow moms who are trying to do their best, because being a mom is not easy, and there are no hard and fast rules to define who makes a good mom. :-) Just lots of love and bonding, that's the most important thing a baby needs, and their moms need lots of support too.

P.S. Our hospital is very breastfeeding friendly and we have lots of resources for nursing mommies, LC's, pumps, and such. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 2 Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for posting this. I can completely relate to this. DD had two episodes where she stopped breathing in the hospital out of the blue but luckily it was just mucus. She was perfectly healthy but wouldn't nurse so I started pumping. We transitioned to the breast but in the weeks of pumping everyone thought I was nuts. I'm very fortunate that neither I nor DD have been very ill so far. My heart goes out to the moms and babies who face illness and other obstacles to their nursing relationships. I make it a point to always applaud any nursing a mom tells me about, regardless of the duration or any difficulties/supplementing. Pumping is very hard. It's the worst of both worlds in terms of work and inconvenience. Any mom that pumps even for a day deserves praise for her efforts to provide milk for her child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page