Breastfeeding and baby is constipated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm breastfeeding my baby, and she is pushing really hard when she tries to poop yet it comes out as yellowy water. But she is pushing to the point of screaming and crying and sweating. I have an appointment monday but is there anything that can help her till then?
#2 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM

How old is she?  Is there any way you can get an earlier appointment?  

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM

my son did this. I realized that if I noticed him straining I could lay down with my knees up and then place him sitting against my knees. For some reason he loved to poop this way. Even now he only poops standing up. He will cry if I am holding him to stand up so he can poop.

If her poop is watery either shes having another issue or could have some sort of compaction that's stuck in there too that's causing her discomfort. I would try to get her in as soon as you can to rule out the latter.

How old is she? Mine seemed to have the most discomfort at around 4 months.

#4 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Both of my little ones would strain and cry to poop, which seemed unusual given that when it finally happened it was just regular runny baby poop.  Baby poop is often yellowish and somewhat runny, but if its watery then she should probably be seen by her ped to ensure there isn;t something else going on.  Good luck.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#5 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

She is only two weeks, they have me using suppositories till they see her monday, they just don't seen to be working for that long, I'm a little worried that they are going to tell me I should stop breast feeding her which I really don't want to do, I was hoping to breast feed at least 6 months.
#6 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

She is only two weeks, they have me using suppositories till they see her monday, they just don't seen to be working for that long, I'm a little worried that they are going to tell me I should stop breast feeding her which I really don't want to do, I was hoping to breast feed at least 6 months.
#7 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

#8 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 PM

Suppositories?  Breastfed babies can go days without pooping, which is completely normal.  What does her poop look like? 

Some of the links here might provide some guidance as to whether anything is wrong, but honestly, straining and crying out just to have a runny poop is very similar to what my babes did....when they're really new babies are still figuring out how to poop.

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/bf-links-concerns/#poop

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#9 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM

yeah at two weeks that sounds pretty normal. Its shocking for them you know. For 9 months they never had to poop and all of a sudden this new experience. My son did the same thing and got over it I think around 6 weeks. I think suppositories are a little extreme especially for a baby so small.

#10 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM

Some babies have a hard time at first figuring out the combo of relaxing the anus but tensing the abdomen and pushing that they need to acheive poop! She will get it. 2-3 weeks is all about getting their digestive systems "online" - the fussiness will pass.
#11 of 12 Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If she's having runny poop, she's not constipated.

LLQ1011 likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 12 Old 10-08-2012, 03:43 PM

How did the appointment go?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page