Newborn Weight Gain - too much? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a such thing as too much weight gain?  DD is three weeks old tomorrow, she weighs 10lbs.  At birth she was 7lbs6oz, but dropped to 7lbs at hospital discharge.  She's exclusively breastfed, she did have a day of formula when I had to be readmitted for complications on Day 3 postpartum.

She's got a huge fat neck and double (triple?) chin, leg rolls already, and is quite pudgy around the middle.  I have an oversupply and was actually worried about her not getting enough hindmilk (especially since she doesn't poop every day) but I think we're in the clear for that...

But is there a such thing as too much weight gain?  

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I suppose there could be. The 10lbs. at that age wouldn't concern me, but I think the gain is about double what is expected. Probably not a problem at all, but maybe just watch and see if the pattern continues. My lo has had some big gains and then was actually a few oz. less one week later, probably cause she had just pooped. Her thighs remind me of the Michelin tire man.

Eta. She was one of my smaller babies @ (only) 8lbs. at birth and lost quite a bit and is now in the 95th or so for weight and seems to be off the charts for length if I am reading them correctly.

#3 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Nope, sounds perfect!  My babies were both preemies and packed on the pounds in the first 4 months before tapering off and becoming slender toddlers.

Keep up the good work mama!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM

You must be making cream!!!

I don't remember how much my dk gained, but it was a lot in the first few weeks.

Keep up the good work!

caffix.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 PM

My DD was 6lbs 14 oz at birth, at her 1 month ped appt she was 10lbs 2.5oz  She looks like you describe your DD with the rolls and double chin. The Dr wasn't concerned at all and pronounced her very healthy.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM

My DD was 7 lb 15 oz at birth, down 5oz at lowest point, then 10 lb 14 oz at 4 weeks. She was 16 lb 8 oz at 4 months and the chubbiest thing I've ever seen. She slowed way down around 6 months and now at 18 months is 27 lb. she's had the same girth around her waist since about 6 or 9 months and is just growing vertically it seems.
Breastfed babies lay down fat stores that help them develop later as toddlers and will be used in an optimal way. This kellymom article explains:
http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-toomuch/

Your baby sounds just perfect. She is getting exactly what she needs and putting some away to help fuel her as a busy toddler many months from now. Hth
#7 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM

I breast feed have lots of extra milk and my two month old only fits size 6 mo clothes, she's happy I'm happy and she's less fragile! Woohoo! She was 7lb and has doubled weight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page