What else do you do with breastmilk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

A couple of days ago I was talking with a new mom friend of mine about breastfeeding and mentioned that I used breastmilk to treat pinkeye - two drops in each eye. She thought that was so cool and wanted to know more. But that was the extent of what I did so I could only tell her what I'd heard from others. I'm sure there are many other things done with breastmilk and who better to ask than Mothering mamas! 

What else do you do with your breastmilk? I've heard of it used for things beyond treating ailments so please share all! We will share this topic on Facebook too and if we get a good list of things we can compile it into a resource for the community.  love.gif

#2 of 19 Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

-Ear infections: one or two drops in the ear a few times a day

-baby acne: pat it on effected area 2x/day 

-regular pimples: see baby acne

-small abrasions: apply to wound (easiest if you freeze in an ice cube tray and use the ice)

-cradle cap: see baby acne

-insect stings: see small abrasions

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

khensberry likes this.

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#3 of 19 Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM

We help mothers sell it online at http://www.onlythebreast.com/ , we have helped thousands of mothers earn some extra cash while helping babies in need.

#4 of 19 Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Wow! I've never heard of using it for all of those ailments. The only thing I used it for was to mix into baby cereal and to thin other first foods.

#5 of 19 Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 PM

I put it on my own face to help with breakouts and on my skin to help with weird itching( some kind of eczema), and recently to treat my dh's pink eye. I've also used it for diaper rash, given some to older dd when she's sick, and on little cuts.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#6 of 19 Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I've heard of breastmilk soap too. Might be quite nice for your baby's bath. Here's a recipe Google turned up: http://portlandmamababycenter.com/2011/06/03/diy-breast-milk-soap-recipe-and-directions/

Hmmmm...just took a closer look at the recipe and I'm a bit concerned about the measurements. I'm a soap maker myself and it's not usual to measure in cups. So if you try this I'd suggest reading up a bit on cold process soap making first and create your own recipe.

#7 of 19 Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

It makes pretty good cake.

#8 of 19 Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM

when i had way too much (think gallon jars) that the infants could not drink becasue i was on super high advil dose for 3 days (pinched sciatica nerve)  i bought an ice cream machine, it was amazing!!!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#9 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I never would have thought of ice cream Adork! 

I think it would make great skin care products. I find it funny that no one thinks twice of using a product that contains cow or goat milk on their skin but make a face at the idea of using human milk. shrug.gif

#10 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM

When I was nursing my now 34 yo I only thought of milk as food, so it never occurred to me to use it for skincare or medicine. I have never really made my own skincare except for using oatmeal as a mask/scrub. But I agree it would quite likely be far superior to other animals' milk-totally compatible with our human skin. Unfortunately some people (clearly not breast feeding friendly) consider it to be a "body fluid" to which contact must be avoided like blood or spit or body wastes.

#11 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Most recently I put some in my cream of broccoli soup. lol.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#12 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Everything I've used it for has been mentioned.

It does work great on eczema (kids & adults), rashes, bug bites, burns, gosh anything really. Its a cure-all.  I'll have to nurse my new baby until (s)he's like 10 just so I can keep getting the benefits!

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#13 of 19 Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 PM

I haven't seen it for myself, but I have a friend who swears that she used it to reattach a severed nose.

ian'smommaya and swede like this.
#14 of 19 Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

soap. i make soap with it.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#15 of 19 Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Banned

Ice cream? Really?
#16 of 19 Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM

oh really ice cream was great, i had let a large amount of it sit for a day and then had a ton of the cream on top, used all of that and some non separated till i felt like i had the right fat ratio, i did also use some yummy organic heavy cream in the mix. but i have made other all cows ice-cream and this was distinctly different. i've always felt my milk tasted "green" in a good way, strange that my milk tastes more grassy to me that a cow that eats grass, but it does.

gosh i thought ice cream was the obvious thing to do with it!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#17 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use it to help decongest LOs nose. A couple drops in the clogged nostril and he usually sneezes the boogers right out smile.gif if not the bm helps loosen them up so they come easily with the bulb syringe smile.gif

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#18 of 19 Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

soap. i make soap with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

I've heard of breastmilk soap too. Might be quite nice for your baby's bath. Here's a recipe Google turned up: http://portlandmamababycenter.com/2011/06/03/diy-breast-milk-soap-recipe-and-directions/

Hmmmm...just took a closer look at the recipe and I'm a bit concerned about the measurements. I'm a soap maker myself and it's not usual to measure in cups. So if you try this I'd suggest reading up a bit on cold process soap making first and create your own recipe.

ian'smommaya and Cynthia Mosher, would you be willing to share a milk soap recipe?  I got on this thread looking for ideas and had heard of the soap one recently.  I have 40oz of frozen BM from before my elimination diet that I can't feed to my baby now so wanted to figure out what else to do with it.  Would love to make soap (but will have to keep it a secret from my husband what's in it because he thinks its gross!!)  TIA!

BTW Cynthia, did a list ever get compiled and posted on the site?  Your question of what else people use it for  is exactly what I came to the site looking for today!

#19 of 19 Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Freeze it in ice cube trays, makes great little teething treats!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page